"Have you received public assistance in the United States from any source?" I-485

teestuff

Registered Users (C)
Part 3 of I-485, on the page that asks a bunch of Yes No questions, question 2 asks "Have you received public assistance in the United States from any source...".

My wife is in the following two "public" programs::

Dental program from Public Health of Seattle (info here )

Basic Health for Washington State (info here )

Are these programs considered by the USCIS as "pubic assistance", in which my wife would need to answer Yes to the question above?

better call immigration on that. but i would say yes. then they will see if that counts or not. if they think it counts and you say no, then you have to explain.

teestuff said:
Part 3 of I-485, on the page that asks a bunch of Yes No questions, question 2 asks "Have you received public assistance in the United States from any source...".

Are these programs considered by the USCIS as "pubic assistance", in which my wife would need to answer Yes to the question above?
Is your wife filing for AOS or you are? If yes then mark yes. If you are filing for AOS and you are not receiving any assistance from these institutions then why would you mark it yes? Remember, I-485 asks questions about the adjustor not the sponsor.

teestuff said:

read more here before you submit your forms...
http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/factsheets/public_cfs.pdf

Always tell more rather than less

teestuff said:
Any other opinions on this from anybody would be appreciated.

My wife ( alien) was receiving Medical while pregnant prior to us filing i-130, i-485. Our attorney told us to claim that and attach a letter of explanation regarding the public assistance.

I doubt it will effect approval as it was for medical reasons. But if you did receive support and stated on your I-485 that you did not and it is later found out, then you have some explaining to do, and it looks supiscious if you hide those details.

In our explanation sheet we simple stated the benits we recieved and explained the basis on why we received them.