Has Anybody applied for SC and OCI togethor recently ?

rajiv_ksharma

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

Has Anybody applied for SC and OCI togethor recently ? Me and my wife we just got our US passports . My kids already has the India VISA. My wife and my kids will be travelling to India in 3rd week of June. I am debating now to get OCI for the family or get the VISA for myself and my wife. I know that I also need to get the SC and my indian passport cancelled.

Has anybody sent their SC and OCI application recently ? If yes , can you please post your experience. We live in NJ so we fall under NY Consulate.

Thanks.
Rajiv.

Hello,

Has anybody sent their SC and OCI application recently ? If yes , can you please post your experience. We live in NJ so we fall under NY Consulate.

Thanks.
Rajiv.

Yes. I just recently applied for the OCI for the family of four + SC. I applied it with travisa and for chicago consulate. It is just new procedure from what people directly used to apply with Consulate but better than before. You can see my post all over. I am not done yet. Processing is getting slow right now. If you are planning to go in JUne and have not done anything, you probably don't want to do OCI unless the processing time improve.

My timeline
Date/Time Action (chicago consulate) OCI for family of Four +SC
03/23/2011 form completed. mailed
03/25/2011 documents received, payment processed
03/29/2011 Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
03/30/2011 Documents dispatched
03/30/2011 Ack Date
03/31/2011 scanned; granted
04/11/2011 Documents Printed

Thanks for reply. I think it will be tight for the OCI and with new process I dont want to be without the passports.
Thanks again.

Hello rajiv,

Have you applied for SC and visa? If so, did you apply together? I was wondering how long it's taking these days at NY consulate.

Thanks for reply. I think it will be tight for the OCI and with new process I dont want to be without the passports.
Thanks again.

Solicit,

I did not apply for the SC and VISA together. I just applied for SC for myself and my wife. Our applications were received by Travisa on 18th. So far I dont have any other update. I spoke to Travisa last week and they said that it is taking almost 3 week for them to open the mail. So I am hoping for an update by end of this week.
Once I have the SC in my hand. Then I will apply for the VISA personally and hopefully that should be processed in a day. I will apply for the OCI after I come back from my trip to india in September. I think I will just get the 1 year visa for now.
My wife and my kids are leaving to india in 3rd week of june and I did not want to take any chances by applying for SC and OCI together. It is more money for now for SC and VISA but at least I will have peace of mind.

I think I have read in this forum that you can go to the consulate and do the SC in person on the same day. Can someone confirm if this is true?

I think I have read in this forum that you can go to the consulate and do the SC in person on the same day. Can someone confirm if this is true?

I don't know about the NY Consulate, but the SF Consulate just shoots you to the Travisa office. They say, the service has been outsourced. Good luck in your case if you can get it done on the same day at the consulate. Mine took 8 days at the SF Travisa.

I don't know about the NY Consulate, but the SF Consulate just shoots you to the Travisa office. They say, the service has been outsourced. Good luck in your case if you can get it done on the same day at the consulate. Mine took 8 days at the SF Travisa.
speakamericano, if we go to the Travisa office in person instead of sending by mail, would it be faster? Did you go to Travisa in person and apply for SC? Did it take you 8 days for SC, Visa or both? Any tips?

speakamericano, if we go to the Travisa office in person instead of sending by mail, would it be faster? Did you go to Travisa in person and apply for SC? Did it take you 8 days for SC, Visa or both? Any tips?

It is definitely faster if you go in person, but be there early. There's only 1 person accepting the docs for Renunciation/OCI/PIO. Half of the people come unprepared. Make sure to take money order. They won't accept cash. It took 8 days only for SC. I recently applied for OCI in person and I think i'll be done in 3 weeks.

Thanks speakamericano. I have to goto NY Travisa office to cancel my OCI (as it's taking a long time - I have to travel on 7th of June) and apply for SC and Entry Visa. NY is so far away for me but it looks like I have to undergo all the trouble!

Travisa's service really sucks. When I call up, after being in the queue for so much of time, and then when I move to first or second in the queue, the connection gets cut off. I'm not sure if this is happening just to me alone. Anyway, I really don't know why the Indian Gov is hell bent on making life difficult to all of us even though we are paying so much of money for the OCI process.

speakamericano,
Did you apply for OCI in person at NY TRAVISA ? Because I called TRAVISA yesterday and the lady told me that I can apply for PIO in person but not for OCI.
Y2k2010,
I applied just for SC by mail thinking that I will get my SC back by end of april. My SC application was received on 18th April. Travisa has not even process the payment. My wife needs to travel in 3rd week of june. I am hoping that I will have enough time get the VISA for my wife and myself. So if you apply in person you will definitely save the time Travisa is taking to open the mail.

speakamericano,
Did you apply for OCI in person at NY TRAVISA ? Because I called TRAVISA yesterday and the lady told me that I can apply for PIO in person but not for OCI.
Y2k2010,
I applied just for SC by mail thinking that I will get my SC back by end of april. My SC application was received on 18th April. Travisa has not even process the payment. My wife needs to travel in 3rd week of june. I am hoping that I will have enough time get the VISA for my wife and myself. So if you apply in person you will definitely save the time Travisa is taking to open the mail.

No, I applied at the SF Travisa. It's kind of weird you can apply for PIO in person but not for OCI. I guess they all have their different rules that vary from one Travisa to another. Kind of weird...no consistency in their so called rules.
If it takes them 3 weeks to open the SC mail, then I'd strongly suggest you to apply in person. You can have the prepaid documents attached to the visa application so they can send it back to you as soon as they it back. They're lazy to open the mail, but they send it pretty quick.
Good Luck!