H4 to RN..

JV_RIT

Hi All,

I just moved in to US on H4 visa with my husband last week.
As of now, my situation in summary is,

1. Compleated Bachelor's and Masters in Nursing outside India.
2. Scored 7.5 in IELTS.
3. Submitted papers to CGFNS for credential Evaluation (CE) 3 months back.
4. State of residence is Connecticut.

I would like to know, what are the steps I could take to achieve RN status here.

a) Can I take the RN test before receiving the Credential Evaluation Report?
b) What’s the difference between Visa Screen and CE report?
c) Once I cleared all the exams and receive reports, how long it would take to change my H4 status.

Please help with some info to take things forward from here.

Thanks in Advance,

SS Mathew

To take NCLEX-RN test for RN license, you have to get the approval from the state nursing board you apply for. Go check with the state (Connecticut, for example) to see the requirements.

I think Connecticut needs CGFNS Certification Program certificate as one of the requirement to take NCLEX-RN test which you have to pass to get RN license. CGFNS CP certificate includes education evaluation, language testing (TOFEL or ILETS etc), and CGFNS Qualifying Exam of Nursing Knowledge which is a similar test to NCLEX-RN.

In order to speed up your RN application, you may apply for RN license of New York state which doesn't require CGFNS CP certificate but need CVS for New York by CGFNS. CVS for New York state requires your education and career documents without CGFNS CP certificate. So it's simpler and faster way to get the ticket to take NCLEX-RN test. After you get RN license of New York state, you can transfer to Connecticut or any other states where you want to work without problem.

Applying for RN license of California doesn't need CGFNS CP certificate or CVS. California nursing board evaluates the education credential and career licensure by itself. It is even faster to get approval from California state to take NCLEX-RN test.

After you get RN license, you can work as RN in the regarding state if you have work permit.

After you pass NCLEX-RN test, you may apply for visascreen with CGFNS if you want to apply for green card by yourself. You may apply it now and submit whatever you have, and send the rest including NCLEX-RN passing score to CGFNS later. Check www.shusterman.com for more info about nurse green card. Good luck!

Moona

Thanks Moona for a detail reply.

Moona said:
In order to speed up your RN application, you may apply for RN license of New York state which doesn't require CGFNS CP certificate but need CVS for New York by CGFNS. CVS for New York state requires your education and career documents without CGFNS CP certificate. So it's simpler and faster way to get the ticket to take NCLEX-RN test. After you get RN license of New York state, you can transfer to Connecticut or any other states where you want to work without problem.

What I heard is CVS for NY takes about 8-9 months to process.Is this correct?I already applies for a general CES.its under processing.Can I convert this to NY-CVS?

Moona said:
Applying for RN license of California doesn't need CGFNS CP certificate or CVS. California nursing board evaluates the education credential and career licensure by itself. It is even faster to get approval from California state to take NCLEX-RN test.

But as am on H4 I dont have an SSN number.I visited Cali BON website.Its mentioned my application wont be processed unless an SSN is furnished.Any workaround?

Thanks in advance

Hello Moona.

I am in a similar situation. I am a PT and a PT license application in CA requires SSN. Since I am on H4 I cannot get SSN. I have heard that the ITIN no. is not accepted by California.

Were you successfull in using the ITIN no. ? or Do you know anyone who has done the same ?

Thanks
csanghani

ITIN can be used in lieu of SSN when taking NCLEX in CA

You have to take the NCLEX to be an RN here. I was in H4 and just graduated recently from nursing program. I took the board in CA without the SSN. So you can apply for the NCLEX without SSN even though it requires a SSN on the application form here in CA. I am not sure in Connecticut. Call again coz some reps do not know about it. As H4 you can obtain an ITIN. I have had an ITIN, and I used it in lieu of SSN when I passed the exam to activate my RN license. There was no question. You also need to apply for CGFNS when you pass your NCLEX. When you pass the test, you could look for an employer (hospitals, facilities..)who will sponsor you as RN coz as H4 you are not allowed to work even you are an RN.

Goodluck!