H4 to F1 query.

pr_m

Hi,

I am currently on H4 visa, and I want to pursue a Masters program as a full-time student which involves 36 units (with a minimum of 12 units to be enrolled per quarter). Since this will be done in 3 quarters (Starting in Spring '08, then the following Fall '08 and last Winter '09). In order to take advantage of OPT I would also like to change status from H4 to F1 from the Fall '08 (My 2nd quarter). Will it be an issue considering that I will be on F1 only for 2 quarters (6 months)?

I have a doubt whether a 9 month (1 academic year) enrollment as full time student is the criterion to be eligible for OPT or is it based on 9 month on F1 visa?

Kindly advise.

Thanks.

Hi,
It is best to contact the school autorities. I had a similar Q and the school autorities said that it shouldn't be a problem converting to F1 at a later stage (u start ur MS on H4). But please confirm from the school ur applying to; their international office should be able to tell you.
Thanks,
Sri.

I am also thinking about doing masters degree and get information on this from the office of international students. If you stude with H4B status, and if you are in that state for more than 12 months, then you are paying instate tuition. If you choose to go for F1 then you will be paying out of state tuition which will be atleast 3 to 4 times higher than instate. If someone knows what are the benefits of studying on F1 over H4B status, please let us know.