H4 status question - please help!!!

vmm

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Ihave a query on my wife and daughter's H4 status. I changed my H1 from company X to company Y sometime in December 2002. All three of us have company X's stamping till August 2004. Company X seems to have cancelled my H1 sometime in Feb-Mar 2003, but I had already got my new H1 from company Y by then. But because of misleading information from my company (Y) HR I didnot apply for my wife and daughter's H4 then.

Now that I want to send all of our passports for reval, the company asked me for my wife and daughter's H4 copies. Learning that I had not got them they have now applied for those through a lawyer. My question now is, are the statuses of my wife and daughter valid? They do have stamping till Aug 2004 on their passport and I have an approved I-797 of company Y with me.

Please answer this situaution. Thanks for any answer/suggestion.

-vmm

Originally posted by vmm
Hi,

Ihave a query on my wife and daughter's H4 status. I changed my H1 from company X to company Y sometime in December 2002. All three of us have company X's stamping till August 2004. Company X seems to have cancelled my H1 sometime in Feb-Mar 2003, but I had already got my new H1 from company Y by then. But because of misleading information from my company (Y) HR I didnot apply for my wife and daughter's H4 then.

Now that I want to send all of our passports for reval, the company asked me for my wife and daughter's H4 copies. Learning that I had not got them they have now applied for those through a lawyer. My question now is, are the statuses of my wife and daughter valid? They do have stamping till Aug 2004 on their passport and I have an approved I-797 of company Y with me.

Please answer this situaution. Thanks for any answer/suggestion.

-vmm

Your wife's and child's H4 status are valid if the I-94's issued to them are valid. You indicated that it is the case and that their H4's (meaning the I-94's that came with H4 approvals or I-94s issued at port of entry) are valid until Aug 2004.

Cancelling your H1 has NO impact on their H4's as long as YOU maintained valid H1 status by acquiring a new h1 /filing for H1 transfer in a timely manner. H4's need not be transferred just because you the H1 holder changed employers. H4's need to be renewed only if they are close to expiration, in your case in August 2004.