H4 (passport & VFS related)

TwilightZone

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I am on H1 status in the US and plan to get married in India in Dec 2003. After marriage, I will be applying for my wife's H4 visa from the Mumbai consulate.

Can you pls. clarify the following ...

A) Passport related - I think there are 2 options as listed below:
1) Option 1 - Retain existing passport and maiden name - just endorse spouse name in existing passport. Main page in passport will retain maiden name.
I think one needs to use the Miscellaneous form for this and it seems to be a faster process.

a) Is this sufficient for the purposes of the H4 visa?

b) What is the name that needs to be followed going forward in the US visa application and other formalities in the US - Maiden or married?
Also the flight tickets? And at POE? I ask because the main page in passport will still retain the maiden name!

c) A friend of mine, after marriage, came to the US on maiden name and changed to married name in the Indian consulate here.
They added a stamp (listed below).
Checking the consulate web site now seemed to suggest a NEW passport rather than any such stamp/endorsement. Is this stamping still being done?

OBSERVATION

No. XXX/XXX/XX Dt. XX.XX.00
Consequent on this passport holder's marriage to Mr.
ABC DEF GHI, the name of the passport holder
has been changed to read as XYZ ABC GHI.

Stamp (Consulate Gen of India)
Signature
(Consular Officer)

2) Option 2 - Change name in passport from maiden to married name. Main page in passport will reflect new married name.
This results in a fresh passport and may take longer.

a) Does anyone have an idea of what is involved in this - especially the time needed to get this done.

3) Can the passport related changes be done in Mumbai for her. She is from Bangalore and her original passport is issued from Bangalore.
Will this delay the process?

B) H4 (VFS/US consulate) related
4) Interview appointments?

a) What are the documents (not documents for H4), just the ones needed at the time of application for an online web based appointment for an
interview at the US consulate using VFS in Mumbai? Do they ask for passport number? What if the passport number changes due to name change?

b) Can one request a specific date?

c) Can this be changed later on if there are any delays in name change of the passport?

d) If you get an online appointment can one go to the VFS center and submit supporting docs rather than courier?
The web site states "courier all necessary documents at least 7 working days before your selected appointment"

5) Instead if one goes to the VFS center in Mumbai ...

a) what are the lead times for an appointment?

b) Is it possible/easy to get an appointment for the next working day?

Thanks

You have posed list of very less questions. I hope one needs 20-30 minutes to answer your questionsand some questions nobody can reply. Hope some one will post reply to you.I hope you have a lawyer
Good luck!!

Hi Twilight

I can try to answer the following question of yours . But please check with someone else too.
2) Option 2 - Change name in passport from maiden to married name. Main page in passport will reflect new married name.
This results in a fresh passport and may take longer
a) Does anyone have an idea of what is involved in this - especially the time needed to get this done
------------------------------------------------------------
I know one of my friends who got a new passport. She got in it TATKAL service . Its like premium processing where you have to pay more money, but the passport office will give you passport in 2 days. Also if you give some money to the clerks at passport office, they may help you getting your fiancee's new passport sooner.

Hope this helps / VIdisha