H4 - Kid's Passport Expiry

ShafiKhan

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I live in the US for the past 4 years now. While I was not able to travel, my family, wife and a kid who both have Indian passports are in India for a vacation now. They will be back by Sep 10th. They have a valid H4 until 2010, but they are going to Chennai consulate for a stamping as the same has expired. Though there are no issues for my wife, my daughter's [6.5 years] passport which had an initial validity of 5 years expires on Jan 3, 2010. My wife went for the passport renewal for my daughter, but was told that an affidavit is required. I have asked my wife to just go with that old passport and tell the officer if asked, that we will renew the passport once we are back in the US, as I was told that the passport needs to have a validity of atleast 6 months before entering the POE. Could anyone tell me if this will be an issue while stamping or entering the POE on Sep 10th?

Hi, I live in the US for the past 4 years now. While I was not able to travel, my family, wife and a kid who both have Indian passports are in India for a vacation now. They will be back by Sep 10th. They have a valid H4 until 2010, but they are going to Chennai consulate for a stamping as the same has expired. Though there are no issues for my wife, my daughter's [6.5 years] passport which had an initial validity of 5 years expires on Jan 3, 2010. My wife went for the passport renewal for my daughter, but was told that an affidavit is required.
--------------------------get your daughter passport renewal done and submit what affidavit passport office asks. once your daughter gets new Passport copy then your wife and kids should go for H4 visa stamping.

I have asked my wife to just go with that old passport and tell the officer if asked, that we will renew the passport once we are back in the US, as I was told that the passport needs to have a validity of atleast 6 months before entering the POE. Could anyone tell me if this will be an issue while stamping or entering the POE on Sep 10th?
------------------------------ if your daughter dont get new passport copy and gets Visa stamp on present passport then she will get I-94 only till Passport expiry date and you will need to file Her H4 extension before her I-94 gets expired(more money for H4 extension filing). it is better to get her passport renewd in India and then go for H4 visa stamp.

Last edited by a moderator: