H1B worker travel to Canada as PR by air

david_wliu

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone, who is Canadian PR and H1B worker in US, have any experience recently going to Toronto by air? I have following concerns:

1) how to keep my original I-94 card that is attached on my H1B paper when checking on board in NYC airport?
2) how easy is travelling by air, comparing with train?

Thanks.

india must be divided in to 10 different nations...where is human rights agencies now..

Mar 4 (APP): India has reaped “universal infamy on account of its communal bloodletting,” with Western experts forecasting “gloom and doom” for the country. Times of India notes that the world media is splattering India’s Hindu-Muslim blood feud on its broadcasts and news pages amid questions about its political and social stability. “Suddenly, India looks like an overblown version of the many violence-wracked small states of Asia and Africa,” the report entitled “Indian earns universal infamy over riots,” said. The bloodbath in Gujarat, the Washington datelined report said, has eclipsed in the Western media all other current issues including the violence in Middle East. Almost all major newspapers and television networks have been carrying wrenching reports about the madness that has seized the “normally placid if chaotic country.” The events are proving to be embarrassing for Indians, Indian-Americans and Indophiles who wear the country’s diversity as a “badge of honour.” The riots, following the fractured political verdict in Uttar Pradesh, has returned western experts on the region to the old theme of forecasting gloom and doom for India. “A combination of widening political cracks and increasing religious violence means India is entering another worrying time,” the respected Economist wrote this week.

Even before the elections and the riots, the India-Pakistan tensions had led former Presidential candidate Steve Forbes to question India’s cohesiveness. “India is not a homogenous state,” Forbes argued in a March 4 comment in his magazine, warning that any attempt by the ruling coalition to wage war could result in the country coming unhinged.

The comment, and the events thereafter, has come as a godsend to Khalistani and Kashmiri groups. “They have now resurfaced to amplify India’s current troubles to the western media, going as far as to urge Secretary of State Colin Powell to condemn Hindu terrorism.” The riots have also featured on the respected television programs like Jim Lehrer News Hour with grim but largely fair commentary.

“This kind of violence, if it ramifies, could really undermine considerably India’s entire attempt to establish what kind of a society it wants to be from this time onward,” Gould said. Richard Lariviere, an academic from University of Texas at Austin and an expert on Indian religious law and Hinduism, put the events in perspective saying “communalism in India is a societal cancer in the same way that racism is a societal cancer in the United States. “ From time to time there are remissions and one is even hopeful that you’re curing these terrible cancers, but then some awful event rips open the new wounds,” he said. But Lariviere was critical of India’s political class, which instead of choosing touch economic prescriptions to rectify the inequities “often articulated political slogans in terms of communal differences.”

no one cares about the i-94

the airlines just treat it like a domestic flight. the only diff is that you have to fill in a customs declaration

No Title

A totally absurd article, writer needs to know a lot of realities and educate himself. How about taking some grants/kheraat from some good universities and educate himself so that there is one less Zahil around.

No Title

If the Airlines takes the I-94, is it at the Airlines counter when you show your ticket or when you board the plane after passing the Security check.

No Title

A totally absurd article, writer needs to know a lot of realities and educate himself. How about taking some grants/kheraat from some good universities and educate himself so that there is one less Zahil around.

Canada flights go through Domestic Terminal - Tips

Here are few tips (I got from my friend who recently went to Toronto by Air)

1. Canadian Flights goes through Domestic Terminal unlike other International Flights

2. You will pass through Canadian Immigration in Canada

3. US Immigration is in Canada while coming back

4. Landing Questions and procedure is same like while go by land

5. Strict Customs now a days while coming back from Canada to USA and US Immigration ask you
    at Canadian Airport that why you went to Canada?? and for how long?? Though they dont care
    whether you have PR or not.

6. US Immigration officer asked my friend about his H1 and where is he working, for how long he is working
    blah blah

7. My friend didn\'t have any problem with I-94. He kept his I-94 in passport and Canadian Officer did see his
     H1 and asked him why he is coming to Canada? Did he leave his work in US now?

8. He didn\'t take his I-94

Hope these tips help

In my case this happened.

While coming to Canada they dont care about I-94.

while going back to US, they can take your I-94. For me 2 times they didnt look at it but the 3rd time when they found I had a I-94 they took it away (the US customs people I mean).

No Title

You wrote that while Going back from Canada They take I-94, So how you will get a NEW I-94 while you enter US by Air from Canada?

I am on H1b I am supposed to have I-94?

No Title

3. US Immigration is in Canada while coming back

My Question:

IF the US immigration is in Canada, Then will they give you new I-94 in Canadian Airpot?
 or you have to take New I-94 when you arrive from Canada to US at US airport?
If I do not surrender my I-94 at the time of departure from US to Canada it means I will be having my I-94 with me.
mercury6 -- wrote that while going from Canada US immigration at Canada Airport will TAKE AWAY the 194, then How I will enter US? How I will get New I-94? do you mean that when I arrive in US from Canada then again I will face US immigration and then I will be given NEW -I-94. or If I have kept my I-94 when I go to Canada will they take that at Canada airport? or I can enter with my I-94 to US and then Face the US immigration in US airport and show my I-94
Something is confusing here.

answer to I-94 questions

There is no immigration in US while going or coming back from Canada. You go through domestic terminal and come back to Domestic Terminal.
When you land in Canada by Air, Canadian immigration will check your passport, they "may" or "may not" take your I-94 (I-94 is taken by Canadian official not US). Different people had different experience, sometimes they take I-94 and sometime they don\'t care. The official rule is "If you go to Canada for less than 30 days you need not to surrender your I-94". But when go their as landed immigrant, you can\'t argue without a solid reason if they take your I-94.

Anyway, the solution is:

1. If they take your I-94, you need to request a new I-94 at US immigration in Canada while coming back.

2. If they dont take your I-94 ,you should be ok. You can tell US officer that you went for only few days to Canada

My friend landed just 2 weeks back by Air to Toronto, and officer didn\'t take his I-94.

Based on various experiences, the immigration scrutiny and officer questions are always more when you travel by Air. Its based on officer to officer , but my personal experience is , if your H1 sticker on passport shows up to Canadian immigration officer, they usually get a bit strict with individual.

I94

1. Canadian Flights are in domestic terminals. (Isn\'t it the 51st state of US? :) )It is treated as a domestic flight as well. If flying American carriers, they only look at your driver\'s license. Even if they ask for your passport, they will not take your I94 away. So you will have your I94 all the time.

2. American Immigration and customs are in Canadian Airports (Vancouver, Toronto). They will give you a new I-94. Once you passed immigration check, you are considered in the U.S and You will be landing in domestic terminal in US.

I 94

There are thousands of ppl in border communities who need the I 94 because they are on us work visas and commute everyday.

If your I-94 does get taken away (mine has had before leaving the US for India) you just pay 6 bucks and get a new i-94 when you land (or in the case of Canadian PRS when you enter the US for Work purposes. When you land you could just be transiting thru the US and you dont need a I-94)

No Title

If your I-94 does get taken away (mine has had before leaving the US for India) you just pay 6 bucks and get a new i-94 when you land (or in the case of Canadian PRS when you enter the US for Work purposes. When you land you could just be transiting thru the US and you dont need a I-94)

BUT IF YOU WANT TO RETURN TO USA AFTER LANDING AND YOU STILL WANT TO WORK ON H1B IN US YOU NEED I-94, I hope other Friend cleared it that If they take I-94 at the time you Land in Canada then when you come back to US and Catch the Flight from Canada you have to face INS official in Canada before departure to USA so you can get your I-94.

What about customs ?

A suplimentary query.....
While flying to US from canadian airport, does one have to go thru customs ? if yes then who checks american or canadians ?