H1B visa appointment with dependents

windsorguy2003

Registered Users (C)
I need to get my H1B visa stamped and am planning to make an appointment in the toronto embassy.....I also want to take my parents(since they are my dependents) to get a visitor visa for them to enter US......If I use the website www.nvars.com, can I just add them as dependents to my appointment? or do I need to make separate appointments for them?....senior members vault, mercury6? or anybody else...please help

Could you please share your experience once you obtain the VISA? Did you already made an appointment at teh consulate. Are they pretty packed up right now. Let us know.

windsorguy2003

If you are working on H1B in US then your parents are NOT your dependents, they are Visitors in USA and came to visit you in US, only your children and spouse can be dependents and hold H4 visa. If your parents are on B1/B2 Visa in USA and you want to extend the Visitor visa they will not get any visitor visa extension from Toronto. You should apply extension to INS
If your Parents are in Canada and Landed Permanent of Canada they can apply in US consulate in Toronto for visitor visa for US, please find the requirement from Toronto US consulate site for visitor visa.Your parents may have to make separate appointments for US Visitor visa if they are in Canada

Please remember that if you are refused H1b visa in Canada then you will not be allowed to US from Canada and you may have to go to your home country to get H1B visa stamp
Embassy of US is in Ottawa, Toronto has US consulate

Well I work in US and live in Canada....my parents are also permanent residents in Canada and are my dependents.....They need a visitor visa to enter US.....wondering if I have to schedule a different appointment for them? OR can I take them with me?

I had replied back to your PM. You will have to make a seperate appointment for them. If you call the number I provided you, they will accomodate everyone on the same day.

Hello windsorguy2003

Did you go and apply for the visa and if yes can you please post your exp as i also want to apply for my visa would appritiate if you could tell.

Thanks

I recently got H1B visa stamped for myself and H4 for my wife in toronto.I fixed up an appointment through internet NVARS site.We had to wait outside the consulate in a queue for quite sometime in cold, no shelter!!Please remember do not take any sort of electronic equipment(cell phone,Palm top, pager ,camera etc ) you won't be allowed to enter with that and they won't keep it for you.If you have not paid application fee of 100 $ there is a Scotia bank nearby and you can get it done prior to interview.
The interview was OK, usual questions showed my I797, they weren't interested in other documents.Collected passports next day.Hope this helps.

Interview Question for JCS?

What question did embassy asked you? Are you currently working in US or this is your first H1?
I need to ask you a detail question, could you plesae email me at "L246@hotmail.com"

Thanks

WindsorGuy2003 - How do you plan to commute to work until you get your visa stamped. Is it a requirement from today (March 17th) to have to have your visa stamped to cross the border - or is this date changed now?
Thanks!

H1b visa stamping at Toronto consulate

Folks...thought I would update you on the issue of getting visa under new rules from the Toronto consulate.

I am a Canadian PR living here for almost 2.5 years. I recently had my H1 approval and though I was not technically required to
get a visa stamp for travelling before March 17th, I chose to do so to avoid future complications.
I made an appointment online through amcits.org. This is an easy way to schedule an appointment. The website provides details of available dates and time slots and you can pick and choose date/time according to your convinence. The cost for this service is C$10. On the morning of the interview, do not forget to bring your confirmation letter for the interview. Also, you need to pay a US$100 visa application fee at any branch of Scotiabank in Ontario and bring all 4 copies of the fee receipt with you.

After I arrived and submitted my passport/paperwork etc., I had to wait about 1.5 hours before my name was called.
The lady officer at the counter asked me why I would need to go to the US and then asked for copy H1b paperwork. Since I have lived in the US before for study and work (I had prior F1 and H1 visa stamps on my passport from India), the officer asked as to what was the purpose of my prior visits. She then asked to see my diploma from the US. She then aked how long have I been in Canada and what was I doing. I told her that after immigration, I have been working in Canada in Canadian companies.
She checked my landing paper and then reviewed the H1b paperwork and asked if I had any family in Canada. After that she asked what will happen to my PR status in Canada if I go to the US. I replied that under the new rules, I am allowed to stay out for 3 years of any 5 year period and since the H1 was for 3 years, this should suffice.
I was given a receipt and then asked to pick up my passport next afternoon. Overall, a pleasent experience, the whole interview process lasted less than 5 mins.

I was not asked to provide any more documentation. However, I took the following docs and copies with me.

Landing paper
Graduation certs and transcripts
Offer letter from US company
Letters of exprience from prior companies
Pay stubs
US and Canada tax returns
Bank statements from Canada bank
I20 from last F1 visa
Copies of I129, I797 and LCA from current and last H1 visa
Copy of last I94 while I was on visa in US

The fact that I have been in US before on F1 and H1, and the fact that I have been in Canada for alomost 2.5 years probably felicitated my interview process. If you have never had an US visa before and only been in Canada for a short period of time you may find it difficult to get a visa. The consular officer maynot always be convinced as to your intention of returning to Canada and may refuse a visa or alternatively may ask you to go back to your native country and apply.
It may also take more time than usual for security clearence and background check for people from countries required to register.
However, this is my personal opinion. Each case is different. Have all your documentation in order and give convincing answers to questions.
Hope this information helps. Good luck to you all.

Some advice: While making an appointment, try to take the first available slot in the morning. The consulate gets considerably crowded later in the day. You won't be allowed inside more than 30 mins before your interview. I had to wait an hour and half before I was interviewed.
Also, parking near the consulate is pretty expensive. You are probably better off taking public transport. It is only a minute's walk from the nearest subway station.
Remember not to take any electronic equipment such as cell phone, camera, calculator etc. You will not be allowed in.

Study Permit vs Quebec Immigration

Hello

I got admission in a canadian university and am yet to go for a visa ,In the mean time I have applied for Quebec immigration and got the interview date.

I have few questions on how I should proceed.

1.If I take the student visa does it pose any problem to my immigration?If I got to canada prior to my immigration interview date can I change the location of my interview?I did not send the confirmation yet

2.If my student visa get rejected does it effect immigration?

what are my Options.

Please help..................

Thank you