H1B Stamping experience in Ottawa, Canada 08/17/2005

WHIDBEY

I would like to share my experience of H1B Stamping in Ottawa to clear some ambiguity.

1. If you are flying to Ottawa, it is better to fly the night before, and get a hotel in Downtown. The cost for accommodation in an average hotel or cheap hotel is between CAD $90 to CAD $130. (Yes it is pretty expensive). Secondly, it is not required to rent a car, if in case you really want to rent a car, it costs around CAD 60-70.
2. On arrival, it is not required to exchange currency, use your debit or credit card. Exchange rate + commission will put you down a lot. Yes, you might need up to CAD 50.00, withdraw from an ATM, This is the BEST!
2. Though an appointment time will be mentioned, it is not a mandatory thing to follow, not required to rush in to the consulate, the appointment is arranged just to stream line the security, and they would not want 30 people standing in line while they have security clearance.
3. In case you are delayed, not necessary to panic, as long as you can get to the consulate before 11:00 AM on the day of your appointment you should be ok.

VERY IMPORTANT POINT:
4. Don't carry any bags! Bags of any kind, laptop bags, or back pack, NONE! The consulate is very strict about it, and there is also no place to store these bags. Please make arrangements to carry your documents in a folder.
5. As soon as you enter the room after security, pay USD 100 in cash at counter # 7, and then wait in line for your name to be called.
6. Organized documents, Politeness, and friendliness with the consulate, will almost assure you a stamping.
7. After the interview, the person from the consulate will ask the candidate to pay $50.00 at the same counter & take the receipt to him. Remember this is only for Indian nationals. (Indian government charges US government $50.00 for every H1B candidate working in US).
This is also true that, if you are asked to pay $50.00 then your stamping is confirmed, and no ambiguity required as long as you have no criminal background.
8. The earliest the consulate will return your passport with stamping is next day at 3:00 PM so prepare to stay for another day, go around Ottawa River & have a fun time. It will take about 5-10 mins in line, and the security guard will check the receipt & return your passport.
I'd also not want to over book my stay in Ottawa just because the appointment letter asks you to stay there for 3 days.

Good luck and have a pleasure trip!

If you have any questions, let me know.

Prashanth

WHIDBEY said:
I would like to share my experience of H1B Stamping in Ottawa to clear some ambiguity.

1. If you are flying to Ottawa, it is better to fly the night before, and get a hotel in Downtown. The cost for accommodation in an average hotel or cheap hotel is between CAD $90 to CAD $130. (Yes it is pretty expensive). Secondly, it is not required to rent a car, if in case you really want to rent a car, it costs around CAD 60-70.
2. On arrival, it is not required to exchange currency, use your debit or credit card. Exchange rate + commission will put you down a lot. Yes, you might need up to CAD 50.00, withdraw from an ATM, This is the BEST!
2. Though an appointment time will be mentioned, it is not a mandatory thing to follow, not required to rush in to the consulate, the appointment is arranged just to stream line the security, and they would not want 30 people standing in line while they have security clearance.
3. In case you are delayed, not necessary to panic, as long as you can get to the consulate before 11:00 AM on the day of your appointment you should be ok.

VERY IMPORTANT POINT:
4. Don't carry any bags! Bags of any kind, laptop bags, or back pack, NONE! The consulate is very strict about it, and there is also no place to store these bags. Please make arrangements to carry your documents in a folder.
5. As soon as you enter the room after security, pay USD 100 in cash at counter # 7, and then wait in line for your name to be called.
6. Organized documents, Politeness, and friendliness with the consulate, will almost assure you a stamping.
7. After the interview, the person from the consulate will ask the candidate to pay $50.00 at the same counter & take the receipt to him. Remember this is only for Indian nationals. (Indian government charges US government $50.00 for every H1B candidate working in US).
This is also true that, if you are asked to pay $50.00 then your stamping is confirmed, and no ambiguity required as long as you have no criminal background.
8. The earliest the consulate will return your passport with stamping is next day at 3:00 PM so prepare to stay for another day, go around Ottawa River & have a fun time. It will take about 5-10 mins in line, and the security guard will check the receipt & return your passport.
I'd also not want to over book my stay in Ottawa just because the appointment letter asks you to stay there for 3 days.

Good luck and have a pleasure trip!

If you have any questions, let me know.

Prashanth
Prashanth, thanks for sharing your experience. I have an appointment for a visa interview at Ottawa in the first week of October. Could you name any hotels that are close to the consulate and websites that you browsed through to reserve your hotel room?

Thanks in advance.

Studious said:
Prashanth, thanks for sharing your experience. I have an appointment for a visa interview at Ottawa in the first week of October. Could you name any hotels that are close to the consulate and websites that you browsed through to reserve your hotel room?

Thanks in advance.
You can get some good deals from normal US sites like Expedia.
I've stayed at a place called Aristocrat Suites (on Cooper St) -- its about a 15 min walk to the US consulate building - this place is not very expensive (around US$65 a night) and they have free internet access and have a restaurant downstairs.
Its also reasonably close to most downtown locations - about 10 mins walk to Parliament building area.

Of course there are lots of other hotels in & around Cooper St area as well :)

max2k1 said:
You can get some good deals from normal US sites like Expedia.
I've stayed at a place called Aristocrat Suites (on Cooper St) -- its about a 15 min walk to the US consulate building - this place is not very expensive (around US$65 a night) and they have free internet access and have a restaurant downstairs.
Its also reasonably close to most downtown locations - about 10 mins walk to Parliament building area.

Of course there are lots of other hotels in & around Cooper St area as well :)
Hey Max2k1, thank you very much for your prompt reply. I have checked some hotels on hotels.com. Just curious to know if there is a better website to reserve hotel rooms. Got it.... thanks again.

Studious said:
Hey Max2k1, thank you very much for your prompt reply. I have checked some hotels on hotels.com. Just curious to know if there is a better website to reserve hotel rooms. Got it.... thanks again.
I've seen some deals on expedia & travelocity as well.

but again, I don't go to Canada every month -- so my opinion is only based on my limited experience :)

Basic Question for Visa Renewal

Hi Guys,
Prasanth: Thanks for sharing your experiences at the Ottawa Consulate.

I'm planning to go there as well, but had a few questions before I made an appointment. Here's my situation:
Current H1-B Visa valid till 30th September 2005.
8th year extension approved and will kick in on October 1st 2005.

Question (s):
Is it advisable to go to Canada ONLY while your current H1-B is still valid?
Can I go the embassy after my visa has expired i.e., say in October or November?
Is there any risk to it if I go after my valid stamped H1-B visa expires?

If someone knows or has been in my situation kindly respond.

Thanks,
Ashwin.

Clarifications Required

Hi guys,

Firstly, a big thank you to Prashanth for giving detailed information about the trip to Ottawa Canada.

I too am planning to go there next week (have my appointment scheduled already) and had a few questions:

1. Prashant can you please elaborate on the specific questions asked to you for the interview at the consulate. That would be very helpful.

2. also you mentioned that we can pay by cash at the US consulate for all fees. Is that for sure because have never come across cash on any of the websites. It alsways says money order or certified checque.

3. If anyone has gone more recently to Ottawa consulate after Prashant, please share your experiences.

Thanks
Pratik