H1B scenario/question

karrad

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I did a B.Tech from IIT(Chemical Engg) and then came to the US to do a PhD in Chemistry. I then did 1year OPT and two years H1B (post-doc) when I went to Canada to continue my post-doctoral work in Biochemistry. During my stay in Canada I had been doing mostly programming and I also got a Java programmer certification(SCJP). Deciding to change careers and move into software I applied and got a job in a small company in the Bay area which has nothing to do with chemistry or biochemistry.
My question is, what are my chances of getting a H1B becos my degree is not in CS and I can claim maybe 1.5 years experience working in software. I do not have Canadian citizenship.
I am sorry if this is not the right place to ask this question and would be appreciative if somebody could direct me if this is indeed the case.
Thanks
Karrad

Recently some of the Chem Enginerr H1 denied.
But your certification may be helpful.

Hi,
I did a B.Tech from IIT(Chemical Engg) and then came to the US to do a PhD in Chemistry. I then did 1year OPT and two years H1B (post-doc) when I went to Canada to continue my post-doctoral work in Biochemistry. During my stay in Canada I had been doing mostly programming and I also got a Java programmer certification(SCJP). Deciding to change careers and move into software I applied and got a job in a small company in the Bay area which has nothing to do with chemistry or biochemistry.
My question is, what are my chances of getting a H1B becos my degree is not in CS and I can claim maybe 1.5 years experience working in software. I do not have Canadian citizenship.
I am sorry if this is not the right place to ask this question and would be appreciative if somebody could direct me if this is indeed the case.
Thanks
Karrad

Hi, I have a science background - a Masters degree in Chemistry from India and a masters in Biological Sciences in the US.
I finshed Masters in US in Jun2005. I searched for employment and was not able to find any employers who could sponsor for a H1B.
In the mean time my OPT period expired and I had to switch to H4 status from F1 (my husband is working in Software industry on a H1B visa).
So my current sttus is H4. I found an employer who is willing to sponsor H1B visa for me in IT field based on a PGDCA diploma
(and some computer training ) which I have from India. My Question is, What are the chances of my H1 being approved. If this H1B is gets approved
(IT System Analyst) , how would that affect my chances of getting another H1B in Biology Research field (for example , If I find a job in a Bio Research Firm or
a Univ Research Lab etc. who would be willing to sponsor a H1B). I mean will it possible to H1B transfer or a new H1B in a completely
different field and a different skill set.

z
Hi, I have a science background - a Masters degree in Chemistry from India and a masters in Biological Sciences in the US.
I finshed Masters in US in Jun2005. I searched for employment and was not able to find any employers who could sponsor for a H1B.
In the mean time my OPT period expired and I had to switch to H4 status from F1 (my husband is working in Software industry on a H1B visa).
So my current sttus is H4. I found an employer who is willing to sponsor H1B visa for me in IT field based on a PGDCA diploma
(and some computer training ) which I have from India.

With your PGDCA and experience get your credential evaluated by www.wes.org. This will give you more leverage to get yur H1 approved in IT side.

For Biology job you have your MS from US, that will help you to get H1 on Biology job.

My Question is, What are the chances of my H1 being approved. If this H1B is gets approved
(IT System Analyst) , how would that affect my chances of getting another H1B in Biology Research field (for example , If I find a job in a Bio Research Firm or
a Univ Research Lab etc. who would be willing to sponsor a H1B). I mean will it possible to H1B transfer or a new H1B in a completely
different field and a different skill set.

Thanks for the reply.
I have heard that if you apply for H1 with a job title (example: Job analyst) then you cannot change your field or job title (Ex: Software developer) for 2-3 years. I wanted to know how far this is true. Because if I get my H1 done in IT field (job title: systems analyst), then will it be possible to change my field (Title: Research Associate) later. I want to stay in Biology field but because it is difficult to get a H1 sponsor in this field, I'm getting my H1 done using my PGDCA diploma and other computer trainings which I did in India to get my H1 in IT. I would apprecaite any input in this matter.

z
Thanks for the reply.
I have heard that if you apply for H1 with a job title (example: Job analyst) then you cannot change your field or job title (Ex: Software developer) for 2-3 years. I wanted to know how far this is true.

This is not true. If you have provable evidence (qualification and experience) for any profession, you can work on that profession.

Because if I get my H1 done in IT field (job title: systems analyst), then will it be possible to change my field (Title: Research Associate) later.
Definitely yes, if you have qualification and experience.
I want to stay in Biology field but because it is difficult to get a H1 sponsor in this field,

if you want job in biology, get teacher credential to get teaching positions or try to get certification in Paramedical such such lab technicians. You will get plenty of job and sponser. pure Biology will not help you for any industrial/commerical job.
MPH also a good bet

I'm getting my H1 done using my PGDCA diploma and other computer trainings which I did in India to get my H1 in IT. I would apprecaite any input in this matter.