H1B Lost in mail

tshroff

Registered Users (C)
:confused: My H1B was approved on Jun 25, 2004 but my employer never received the approval notice. When the employer contacted CIS they said to fill out form I824 for issuing duplicate I797 form which, takes about 2 yrs to process. Does anybody know a shorter way of getting the approval notice. Any help will be highly appreciated.

same problem

I have the exact same problem and my I-797 was lost in the same time frame (07/07) sent out from the Texas center. I've spoken to my company lawyer & the folks at USCIS and unfortunately it seems that filing an I-824 and waiting for 1.5 to 2 years is the only way out.

Please share any better alternatives that you may have/find.

Thanks.

sent a letter to USCIS

My employer called up USCIS and was suggested that the employer should send a letter to them requesting a copy of I797. My employer has sent a letter, I will let you know if I receive a response from them.

I have similar situation guys..I have h1/h4 approved on 07/07/04 time frame and I have received the copy of h4(My Copy).But the copies of h1/h4 that were sent to my attorney were never received.So they initiated enquiry and requested CIS to submit Duplicate copy on 08/11/04.Now I have received a RFE requesting further information..I am waiting for the RFE copy.

Got Duplicate Approval Notice in one week

My friend's approval notice was also lost in the mail - the company attorney contacted the INS and requested duplicate notice which came within a week. I don't think the attorney filed any forms.

Can you give me a little more details of what happened? I misplaced my H1B approval notice and the other (more important) document with the I94 attached. My attorney is telling me it will take upto a year to get it processed before I can get a duplicate.

Here are a few questions:

1. Was the notice really lost, or did it just come in late?

2. What fees did the attorney have to pay to get a duplicate?

3. Who did the fees go to?

4. Can I get your contact information / phone information?

Thanks,

Raj.

####################################

neelmanish said:
My friend's approval notice was also lost in the mail - the company attorney contacted the INS and requested duplicate notice which came within a week. I don't think the attorney filed any forms.

Lost I797B form

My wife's I797B original form was not returned to her by counsular officer in Chennai Consulate. They have given visa but they did not send the original form.
We contacted consulate but no one is responding properly. I guess they will not respond properly.

Our plan is to come to US by Jan 05 end. But because of missing I797B form she will not be able to travel. I am thinking of applying for duplicate copy immediately.

Can she travel to US with a photocopy of I797B and apply for a duplicate once she reaches US.

Also can someone share with me like how long it takes and what is the procedure.

Thanks
Shiva.

can i transfer if i dont have I797 but the visa is approved

Guys,

my H1B transfer is approved for my current company but we never received I797. I only have copy of petition and receipt notice. Can I apply for H1B transfer to new employer?

regards.

origina I-797 lost, will photocopy work for H1 transfer?

Hi, I have little unique situation. I have lost my original I-797 but i do have photocopy (both sides) of it and I also have my I-94(original).

Is these enough If I have to renew/transfer my H1B ?
:confused:

desireuben said:
Hi, I have little unique situation. I have lost my original I-797 but i do have photocopy (both sides) of it and I also have my I-94(original).

Is these enough If I have to renew/transfer my H1B ?
:confused:

For extension/transfer, you don't need oroginal. USCIS only needs copy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Original Form I797 misplaced by the embassy.

Hi Shiva,
Even I have faced the same situation in Delhi consulate. I got my h1 visa stamped in the pasport but the embssy people have not sent my original notice of action (Form I797) with it.I enquired the VFs and went personally to the embassy but it was of no use. I have a xerox copy of the original Form I797. I contacted my employer also in US . they have the employer copy of the original notice of action also. can i travel with the employer copy and a valid H1 visa stamped on the passport. It is the mistake of the embassy that they misplaced my original Form I797.
Can anyone please help me on this. My email id vs2807@yahoo.com
Regards
Vandana

ksprsad said:
My wife's I797B original form was not returned to her by counsular officer in Chennai Consulate. They have given visa but they did not send the original form.
We contacted consulate but no one is responding properly. I guess they will not respond properly.

Our plan is to come to US by Jan 05 end. But because of missing I797B form she will not be able to travel. I am thinking of applying for duplicate copy immediately.

Can she travel to US with a photocopy of I797B and apply for a duplicate once she reaches US.

Also can someone share with me like how long it takes and what is the procedure.

Thanks
Shiva.