H1B Holder, business opportunity

puterguy

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I currently hold an H1B visa with a company, have had it for about 1.5 yr now. (I'm Canadian.) I've been developing a software product in my free-time - been making very good progress, despite the long hours. Ideally I'd like to market it, although doing so initially does not need to result in a huge capital investment: with mostly Internet-based delivery, support and payment handling, the greatest "expense" here is in the time and effort to create the intellectual property. On the other hand, if it were as successful as it could be, it could turn into a full-time job, hiring of employees, etc., etc. I realize and have been told that I can't do this in the U.S. in my current status - in fact, I could be tossed out and barred from future entry if I tried "boot-strapping."

I talked to one immigration lawyer who seemed willing to help me apply for an H1B, effectively sponsoring myself after having formed an LLC in the U.S. However after doing some more reading, it sounds like a very risky move likely just to result in the loss in several thousand in legal / filing fees. (For example I assume I'd need to *prove* that I could pay myself the prevailing wage, which is uncertain until I've started business which I can't do until I get the visa!! - or maybe I'm over-analyzing.) However if it were successful, it would seem to be an ideal situation, allowing me to hold 2 H1's and make a choice if and when the product does well enough to leave my current employer and take it on full-time. Has anyone successfully gone this route?

The E2 route was mentioned, but that requires some substantial up-front capital investments - that once again, I don't really *need* in this particular situation. (At some point yes, but not right now.)

So my current thinking is tending towards setting up a company in my "home province" or a possible "future province" - not sure how feasible this is since I haven't lived there in over 4 years now. I'd then be an executive in a Canadian company, working in the U.S. for a different company on a H1 visa. My current employer allows for "independent work" as well, so there's no issue there. When the cash-flow proves that it's a viable venture, I could then try to get an E2, if I were willing to invest capital (I was told by the same lawyer that it could be done for as little as $50,000, but it seems this is not a firm figure). There may even be other options at that point that I'm not aware of.

All of this seems very complicated, however, especially as it relates to taxation: I'm trying to NOT be a Canadian resident (for tax purposes), yet owning a company there would obviously make that impossible - Revenue Canada would want their share of business tax for example. On the other hand, trying to do this within the U.S. seems problematic from an immigration perspective, even though financially you'd think it would make sense for them to not want revenue flowing OUT of the U.S.

As you can tell, I'd prefer to stay in the U.S. for now, but with some more freedom from my current employer. I was NOT overly happy with the lawyer I talked to, in reflection. For example, when asked about what paperwork I'd need to provide if we tried to do an H1, he was very vague and said he'd send a list once I agreed to hire them on.

I know this is probably fairly unique, but does anyone have any tangential experiences / advice?

Thanks!

Here I am replying to myself ;)

... just reading some of the other threads and seeing a theme of "it doesn't matter where the COMPANY is located, it matters where YOU are located." I.e. "work authorization" will be required. So... given that... what kind of "work authorization" is possible in this scenario?? What rationale would USCIS have to reject a request for "secondary employment", especially if the premise is that revenue will be STAYING in the U.S. versus LEAVING the U.S.?

Thanks, Joe... points well taken.

Of course right now, it *could* be released as open-source - maybe not. It's still very conceptual and I wanted to get into this quagmire before even considering the actual route to take - be it, "a learning project", "an open-source project", "a take it back to Canada and sell it project", or some other side-business that could be run in the U.S. while I'm with my current employer, who happens to be pretty cool as it is.

Another option, after reading and reading and reading, seems to be possibly obtaining an EAP. It sounds like others on H1B have obtained this and allows them to conduct "part-time business" for example. This sounds like the "work authorization" that is nebulously referred to in some cases.

I certainly have no issue with considering this as a side-business for now - if I wanted to turn it full-time - well, I'd be in a position to make enough $ to have some more options, I'm sure ;)

So... anyone have comments on EAP route?

Okay, yet more reading, sorry, you're observing me slowing learning the ropes here...

EAD sounds only viable if I've got the GC process pending.

Could be an option as well... given how long it takes, why not start now?

Agreed - I would expect my employer to be eager to be a part of this, given our 4.5 year relationship so far.

But... in an effort to think of even more possibilities... I wonder about the "work authorization" for my self-employement to be based on TN classification. It's a much less restrictive standard to meet as an employer - I would employ myself as a Computer Systems Analyst, requiring a B.Sc. and 10+ years of experience. Since H-1B can OWN companies, my "passive" stance as an H-1B is to be the owner, my H-1B is also for "daytime" work with my employer, and the TN covers "nighttime" work which includes everything one would expect of a Computer Systems Analyst. I would expect a bit more of that, even, into sales. (Adding responsibility would only make it more tailored to me as a candidate - but TN doesn't require the employer need to demonstrate anything special as far as prevailing wage, etc.) Just another thought.

Other option

Hi:
I happened to be reading this thread lately.

Have you considered this option.

Talk to a company X about your product. See if they are interested in further enhancements or marketing.

See if they can hire you on H1B. See if they can give you a bonus or extra 10000 Employee stock options at discounted rate. If you could find such company then you can trasfer your H1B to them. And work on your product and also get help from marketing guys of the company X to market your product.
and also you can get paid in form of bonus or stocks!

second option:
Or talk to your company on similar lines. This way you donot have to trasfer your H1B.

Third option:
You can sell this product to a company in Canada and get money from them in Canadian $. You may have to declare this money while filing US taxes (pls ask an immigration lawyer or a CPA with immigration background).

A MUST option is to get GC and/or EAD! :)

thanks,

Just start a C-corp ,retain the earnings in the company itself (that is dont pay yourself a salary or dividend) until you get your GC or EAD !.

For a exprimental startup it should not be a problem as you make little or no money in the first 1-2 years anyway !

If you dont get paid nothing is reflected in your personal tax return and USCIS have no way to know that you run a business !

non-citizens and C-Corp??

KoKo123 said:
Just start a C-corp ,retain the earnings in the company itself (that is dont pay yourself a salary or dividend) until you get your GC or EAD !.

For a exprimental startup it should not be a problem as you make little or no money in the first 1-2 years anyway !

If you dont get paid nothing is reflected in your personal tax return and USCIS have no way to know that you run a business !

I'm in exactly the same situation as puterguy, in that, I'm currently employed here in the US and am on H-1 status with my employer. I'm in the process of applying for my Permanent Residence. In the interm, I also want to start off a business in any way humanly fathomable. It's going to be a web-based business, and I'm fairly confident of the idea. The C-Corp that you suggest is the ideal option if one could do it, but based on my readings on some of these forums it seems like you have to be a permanent resident or citizen of the US to be able to start a C-Corp. Does anyone have any links to forums/authoritative sources that may be able to confirm/refute this?

Thanks.

Hi Guys :

Just happenned to browse this thread and thought to validate an Idea I have been toying with, this is my situation :

I am on H1 since past 5 years, find my own projects and decide my own rates with clients - company is just a backend for payrol processing and doing my greencard - they just work on percentage basis with me. Now, my wife is a qualified engineer and she wants to work, can I start a company and sponsor her H1 ? - she is on H4 currently but was employed on L1 earlier for about 3 years. Also, once she gets a project and I start paying her salary can I really use the remaining money (total earnings - her salary = profit) - how would it be legally possible ?

Also, I have a few friends in Japan who are asking for H1 and I would want to sponsor and place them - my question is - how will this be useful to me ? also, my job (projects) involve me to move constantly - atleast every couple of years, what address should I use ? Can I use a family friend's address with my name on it ?

All this is just a thought, please feel free to refine and advice. Greatly appreciate!! thanks!

That really seems interesting. Is that all online? I need a fast and easy job since I am a full time Mum to my twins. Please let me know. Thanks and where can I get further details for this? Thank you!