1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H1 visa for teachers... Need help

Discussion in 'H Visa Issues at the Consulates and Visa Revalidat' started by chilal, Dec 8, 2007.

  1. chilal

    chilal Registered Users (C)


    I need help for getting information about starting a career in education field. My wife wants to start her career as a elementary school teacher in Mathematics field. ( for grad 1 to 7 ). She is now on H4 visa.

    If she become a teacher than will she get her H1 visa? Does Schools are doing H1 visas? If you know anybody in your family or friends who is teacher and has a knowledge about teaching field ( with H1 visa stuff ), please let me know. Waiting for your replies.

    Thank you
  2. elcupacabras

    elcupacabras Registered Users (C)

    Your wife will only be able to get her own H1 B visa if she can find a school to sponsor her. This can be very difficult, as Im sure youre aware, the employer (in this case the school) has to pay $ thousands for the visa application, and then wait from the date of application in April, until October (when visa is issued) for your wife to start work. The majority of public schools will not entertain this as 1) they cannot afford the visa fees. Most schools are generally strapped for cash, and so spending money on a visa is very unlikely to happen.
    2) they do not want to wait 6 months for a teaching position to be filled. This is how long they will have to keep the position open for as your wife will not be able to start work until October, and the job obviously must be advertised and open from April at the very latest (when visa is applied for).

    I know it doesnt sound too hopeful, but this is the reality. Of course, if your wife could get a private school to sponsor her (or even an international school) then this might work, as they arent as cash strapped as schools in the public system. It may be worth her writing/enquiring at local private schools to see whether they would be interested in sponsoring her.

    Out of curiosity, where abouts in the States are you? Southern states are generally facing a teacher shortage, therefore it may be likely that your wife may be able to get sponsored by a private school. Northern states such as New York (with the exception of NYC) have a surplus of teachers, making sponsorship less likely as schools can just get a teacher without the hassle and expense of visa sponsorship and being without a teacher for 6 months.

    Good luck
  3. chilal

    chilal Registered Users (C)

    Thank you for your reply. We are right now in Chicago. She did her master of science in mathematics in India and also complete her B.Ed. That's why she wants to become a teacher. But you are right. She might get problems for her H1 visa. She has another option too. She will start her masters in statistics right now. After We will get our green card ( about 4 yrs. ) she can change her field and become a teacher.

    We are thinking that what to do. Hope we will take correct decision.

    Thank you once again for your reply.
  4. manwithnoname

    manwithnoname Registered Users (C)

    Which stage of the GC process are you in? If I-485 is filed she can work in EAD. For a dependant GC applicant, changing fields is not a problem.
  5. elcupacabras

    elcupacabras Registered Users (C)

    Maths teachers are generally shortage throughout the country, so you never know, your wife might be lucky, especially in a private school.

Share This Page