H1 Visa Experience Chennai Consulate

221g in US and revalidation at consulates

Hi,
I got a 221(g) - application not approvable at this time. Apply at a us consulate..
I am going to Chennai for stamping next month.
any body has similar experience, please post your experience.

Thanks
immi_tracker

Visa Statmping

Hi,

I need to travel out of the country. To re-enter, I need to get a visa stamping from Chennai.

However, there is a complication. I came in on a F1 in 95, finished school and extended my stay for H1. I have worked for several employers, some of them big companies, some Indian consulting on H1 status. Maintained my status as required for my time as H1 and have tax returns etc...

I want to know if there will be a problem with stamping since I have stayed in the country without visiting home (legally, paid taxes, have pay stubs, W2s) for almost 10 years.. I have NOT applied for I140 or I485.

Will they reject my H1 based on the fact that I am a potential immigrant?Given the scenario am I better off just staying inside the country ? What are the chances of getting a stamp?

Do they reject Visa for continuosly staying inside the country for too long (even though legally) . Thanks for any info you can provide..

W2s + other documents

rgnair1312

Thanks a lot for taking your time to share your visa interview experience with us.

I have a few questions. Appreciate if you could help.

- You have told that you had to arrange the documents according to the list they had on a black board. At the same time you have told that you presented all your W2s for 1999 to 2003. So did you present all these W2s because they had asked you to present all these W2s (on the blackboard), or did you voluntarily submit them, because you had them with you? Is it enough if I just present only the latest W2? What exactly are they asking for on the list as far as W2s are concerned? Kindly help.

- Is the black board list a ever changing one (do you think they might be altering it on a regular basis) or is it more static?

- Had they asked for any letters from previous employers?

- Generally how was the aura/mood around the consulate. Was it kind of easy going attitude with the consular officers at Chennai? I heard they are kind of rude and very strict at places like Mexico.

I have a visa interview at the end of this month. I very much appreciate your help on this.

I will be sure to post my experiences on this board when I am done with my interview.

Background: I will be in Bangalore for 10 days and need to get my H1B renewal (same company as previous H1B) stamped. The dropbox apprently may take more than 10 day and I can't get any personal interview in Chennai (jun 1- Jun 12).

1) But apparentely I can take appointment in US consulate in Delhi/Kolkata. I got one for Kolkata, anyone have experience with this situation.

2) US consulate Kolkata website says it takes 6-8 days even with personal interview to get receive stamped passport

3) Chennai consulate website says you need to demonstrate the urgent need for going back to US in order to take appointment in Delhi/Kolkata, how do I do that?

Any information will be appreciated

H4 Visa

My wife attended chennai consulate for the purpose of my kid H4 Visa, ( she already revalidated her H4 visa in DC ).
Chennai Consulate asks for W2 of 2002, i came to USA on 27th September, 2002, and i was on bench till May 2003, the company could not place me then i worked for couple of months for the company and then changed the company.

I have regular pay stubbs from June 2003., i dont know how to over come this issue.
Please suggest me,
thanks

Stocknsuref,

My comments:
You have told that you had to arrange the documents according to the list they had on a black board. At the same time you have told that you presented all your W2s for 1999 to 2003. So did you present all these W2s because they had asked you to present all these W2s (on the blackboard), or did you voluntarily submit them, because you had them with you? Is it enough if I just present only the latest W2? What exactly are they asking for on the list as far as W2s are concerned? Kindly help.

I am not sure, but I think the list of items on the blackboard included all the W2s and IT returns for all years you are in the US and that is why I submitted them (I had many other papers also with me, but I did not submit them, becaues they were not included in the list - like photographs, company brochure etc)

Is the black board list a ever changing one (do you think they might be altering it on a regular basis) or is it more static?
I think the list is permanent, not sure though.

- Had they asked for any letters from previous employers?
No

- Generally how was the aura/mood around the consulate. Was it kind of easy going attitude with the consular officers at Chennai? I heard they are kind of rude and very strict at places like Mexico.
They were OK, not very friendly, not rude either.

H1B visa experience at Chennai consulate

I feel obligated to post this here.

This is just to share my experience of getting the H1B visa stamped at the Chennai consulate General on 27-May-2004.

My appointment time was around 11.00 a.m.

- They allow me to get into the consulate at 10.30 a.m. itself.
- Lot of crowd inside
- Go inside the consulate, first pay the 400 Rs. DD for TT services courier
- Then go to a cashier pay Rs. 4600 and get a receipt
- Now opposite to the cashier room is a board wher they have put the list of documents and their sequence to be arranged. I arranged those for a H1B visa. It says 'previous years W2s and 1040s' but I only provided the latest W2 and 1040 i.e. for year 2003. It is up to you to provide for all other years if you want to. They will just accept the W2/1040s for the latest year.

- Go to the next Register
- Present the document to one of the Indians working there (remember these are not Americans). They will go through your documents and give back those unnecessary and ask for anything that you missed
- YOu will get a paper token with a number on it.
- Now you have finished the 1st stage inside the consulate building. Now there will be a lot of crowd there with people waiting with tokens. The security guard will call a list of token numbers and ask those people to go to another building for interview
- Wait for your turn. Go to that building when your token is called.

In the other building

- There is again a lot of crowd in the other building with people sitting in chairs and standing in queues before the visa interview counters
- Now once again you have to wait for your token number to be called. THis might take some time or long time depending on the crowd there and how fast they are interviewing people
- Unlike what I thought, there is no token being displayed, but your token # will be called
- When ur token is called, you have to go into the queue that is already standing/waiting for interview with a particular consular officer. I didn't see any particular pattern. THe same officer interviews for all kind of visas (tourist, student, work etc.)
- Now finally you come to the front of the queue and it is your turn

My experience in the interview

- I kept my cool confidence
- The visa officer called me
- Asked the purpose of teh trip - I answered loud and presice
- few other questions to which i provided instant unambiguous answers
- the interview was done, they asked me to pay 2300
- i paid it and was told that my passport will arrive in 3 days to my home address
- i am done - Thank God - Thanks to all of you here for sharing your experiences

Wish you all good luck.

Be cool, calm, confident and talk loud and clear and provide precise answers.

It will be better to be on the defensive side i.e. don't provide more information or documents than what is being asked for.

Overall i see Chennai consulate as a take it easy Consulate. That is my personal opinion.

AGain do your homework and be confident.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I will be glad to reply when I get a chance. Appreciate your patience.

Info please

Thanks to RGNAIR and STOCKNSURF for sharing thier experience. It really gives a clear picture....

I am new to this forum and plannning to take a trip in next couple of weeks.

I dont have much time, can somebdy please help me with some of my (basic!!) questions.
a) how do we schedule an appointment in chennai consulate?

b) when me and my wife accompany together or it have to be different appointment??

c) I have been here for last 6 years, and this is my first validation in Chennai after I came here.

d) Can some one once again reiterate the basic things I should look into before my trip.

Help Help!!

goodphysq said:
Thanks to RGNAIR and STOCKNSURF for sharing thier experience. It really gives a clear picture....

I am new to this forum and plannning to take a trip in next couple of weeks.

I dont have much time, can somebdy please help me with some of my (basic!!) questions.
a) how do we schedule an appointment in chennai consulate?

Go to www.ttsvisas.com

b) when me and my wife accompany together or it have to be different appointment??
I think you can appear together. YOu have to provide both passport #s for the same appointment.

c) I have been here for last 6 years, and this is my first validation in Chennai after I came here.
Be better prepared for any related questions.

d) Can some one once again reiterate the basic things I should look into before my trip.
Have all documents prepared. Do some basic preparations for any kind of question you might face from the visa officer. As long as you keep your cool and keep all documents and provide assertive, unambiguous answers it should all be easy.

Good luck!

Help Help!!

Regarding Consulate Appointments!!

Thanks STOCKNSURF.

I think I got the basics now...

I got an appointment for my wife at New Delhi Consulate. Does it have to be separate appointment for me? What happens if I cant find the same day?

Can someone please let me know more about this appointment stuff works!!

Thanks.

Going for an Interview with out pay stubs?

Hi!

Can any body help me with my situation?

I have my H1B approval with a start date of Oct 1st 2004. Currently I am in US on H4 visa with my husband. I have an appointment on Aug 5th 2004 at Chennai consulate for my H1B stamping as I am visiting India in July.
Somehow, I am concerned that I would have no pay stubs showing clear evidence of my employment as this is my future job.

Is there any chance of rejecting the visa because of pay slips? Did any one go thru the same problem?

Your insights are very much appreciated in this regard.

LI to H1B Transfer - Planning to go to Chennai Consulate - Please suggest..

This is really a nice room to know lot of things in advance. Thanks to all of you for the valueble information posted.

I am planning to attend for H1B visa stamping at Chennai consulate during August 2nd week(coming on 3 weeks vacation August 8th through 29th). I have all tax returns(1999 through 2003), pay stubs(not all but most current 2003-04), All W-2 forms, and all the documents mentioned in the list of documents.

I have transferred my status from L1 to H1(From X company to Y company), does it any way effect ? (I have one H1, one L1 and 3 B1 visa stampings)

Can I take appointment in July to get a time for 2nd week of August ? If possible how to do it ? Does TTK service give a choice for appointment ?

Can any one advise what should be the best way to plan...

Thanks in advance for your help.

7th Year H1-B Visa Stamping in Chennai .. Please advise

Hi,

Here's my situation:

1. I have applied for 7th year H1-B extension based on labor pending. I am expecting an approval in the next 20 days with the corresponding H4 for my wife.

2. I am planning for a India trip in August for my brother's wedding. My wife will be accompaning me

3. My H1 visa stamp in the passport expired in Dec 2003. My wife's H4 visa stamp expired in March 2004. My wife got a new passport issued in Washington DC due to name change and the old passport is labled as "cancelled". The stamp is in the old passport and there is no stamp in the new passport.

4. We are thinking of getting the passports revalidated in US, but its currently taking 3 months and I will not be able to go in August.

5. We both have Canadian Immigrant visa (PR) stamped in our passports.

Questions:

1. Is it safe for us to get the visa revalidated in Chennai?

2. Can I use TTServices Drop box facility or do I have to go for an interview?

Any input is greately appretiated.

Regards
Nick

can I avoid chennai consulate

I am in US for past 3 years. I came in jun2001
and I was on bench upto may 2002 with company "A".
I didnt file returns because I didnt get any pay.
Then I switched to company "B" and got regular
pay from jun2002. Still my 2002 W2 is lessthan
LCA requirement, because of first 6 months bench with "A".
There was no problem for 2003. My W2 has got
more than required by LCA.

Recently I have switched to Company "C" and h1 got
transferred. My visa on passport was from
company "B" and valid upto dec2004.

My problem is - This month I am planning to
go to India to get married.

I want to avoid going to Chennai for H4, because they
are very strict with old W2's and asking for
all the old W2's.

What I am planning is to go to Calcutta or Delhi
by combining my would-be's H4 with my H1 visa transfer
stamping. Is it safe?

I can avoid my h1 visa stamping in India and come back. But
for H4, if I send my would-be alone, she has to
go to chennai only. If I combine her h4 with my
h1 , I can go to calcutta or delhi by telling
that I can't wait long waiting period at chennai.

Please advice. I am very much worried. Other
option is I have to look for only F1 or H1 girl

Revalidation at chennai consulate

Revalidation at chennai consulate is stright forword ,if you have all documents and answer questions with confidence. I kept only 2003 w2 and they asked for it at the interview and verified it. Also they asked whether i enclosed LCA and the orginal papers that lawyer filed for the h1b petition. I think they checked the company's revenue and other details. Apart from it they asked general questions like how was my vacation etc etc. the entire process took abt 2 hrs from the time i entered consulate and came out.

Note : No baggage or sealed envelops allowed inside the consulate.

L1 to new H1

I am currently working in US on L1 for an company XYZ.
Right now i have approves fresh H1 petition for a company ABC.
i am goin to india for two weeks vacation.I got the appoint with US consulate chennai on july 12th.
i am slightly worried to go for stamping. coz i dont know what are all the questions they will ask about my company XYZ and the new company ABC?
coz i dont have a exp letter from company XYZ.
They will call my previous employer XYZ for verification?
What kind of questions they will ask on this situation.
Can anybody help me in this regard?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Guys, I'm going for fourth time H1 Stamp to chennai.

-- Hi, i was just reading past this thread? What do you mean you are going for a fourth time H1 stamp? Is this your third extension? Please explain. Thanks.

Help

I have question for all experts here...

I am planning to apply h1b at Calcutta, I fall under chennai. I was denied student visa in 98. Am I eligible to apply for H1 at calcutta? I am not geting any appointment in chennai and I have to go to US asap.