H1 transfer: receipt questions

bigbird

Hi everyone

Will appreciate some help on my situation

I have been working on a H1B visa with my current company for the past 3 years and they have even renewed my H1 for the next 3 years. I am now moving to another company and as we all know I can only start with my new company after I get my receipt no. from the processing center.So my questions are:

1) How long does it take to get the receipt - The person says that my application has been sent about a week ago - It will most probably go to vermont center as the company is based in new york.

2) Should I resign from my current job before the receipt comes

3) If I resign from my current job before the receipt comes, then will it immediately end my H1 or is there a grace period in between for situations like these.

4) If my application is stepped up to premium processing then will it help in getting the receipt no. faster

I am not in a hurry for getting the actual transfer document but I do need the receipt no so I can plan accordingly with my moving etc. I have been given a tentative start date of 3rd December 2007.

any answers are appreciated.

You can start working for the new company as soon as they send your papers to USCIS. You woudl get the recipt in 2 weeks or so. If you need to give some notice to old company, give it now and after you get the reciept you may join the new company.