h1 research to h1 clinical

mestep3

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,

can anyone give me some advice? i am offered an h1b research position...i know research is going to help me with resume, but will this h1 visa at nonprofit university research help me with the visa issues of residency? or it doesnt have any effect.

i am already doing a volunteer research job, i have to decide whether to use my years of h1 visa or not....i will apply next year, so i will be using almost 1.5 years of h1 before 2009 residency start or if luck denies, more than that...

can nayone share the experience?

Thanks..

advice

you dont mention what visa you are on.

i started off on an H1B research and worked about a year and a half on it. i moved to an h1b residency.

my recommendation is to take the position and try to find a reseidency which takes h1b. transfer is easy ( unless you get stuck in name checks etc)

"using up" h1b is not relevant to many as getting in the h1b cycle is more important. the chances of getting into residency depent on many points ...doing good research is always a plus.

I agree

Moving from research to residency on H-1 should not be a problem.
Research will help you find a residency spot. Meanwhile while on research make sure you try and publish good number of papers so that you can then file for EB-1 later on.

Moving from research to residency on H-1 should not be a problem.
Research will help you find a residency spot. Meanwhile while on research make sure you try and publish good number of papers so that you can then file for EB-1 later on.

Thank you guys for ur reply.

The problem is --- the position is a "data cordinator" as in this capacity I wont have any publication even as a sub P.I

Can you plz suggest me wht documents I need to get during this period from the departmental chair and other P.I's which will help me file under a EB1 category ?

Are LOR's good to support ur EBI filing ?

Thank you

HI ,

Once i tried for research positions which sponser H1 visa,but i didnt find any!!!

i have passed only usmle step 1,and i am preparing for 2.

Is there a secret pathway for finding such programs(with h1 visa)????!!!

Tell me ...I am totally disappointed!

thank you

explanation

unfortunatly step 3 is required for many H1B research postions . so its moot in your case till you are at that stage. most of the clinical research departments in universities have h1b working in them.

go to the nearest univeristy which does research and find a POST DOC ask him if he knows any guy on H1B.

you should also research forums where USMLE and RESIDENCY is disccussed.

good luck

H1b requirement for residency requires step-3 hope that helps, and also to address your initial question, go ahead an join research on H1b, you get 6 years on H1b and that can be extended for longer if your labor is applied 365 days b4 the expiry of the H1b limit, so you should be fine.