H1 / H4 renewal issues in mumbai

patel007

Hello All,

I came to this country in Nov-2004 and My wife joined me in mar-2005. I work for the same employer. My visa got expired in mar-2007. Of course I got an extension till mar-2010 before my visa expired. I never went outside U.S once I entered this country. Clean background record. Not tickets etc...
My parents also visited me in 2006 to see my newly born daughter. They got visa based on my papers.

We are planning to go to India in Dec-2007 for H1 / H4 stamping in mumbai. But I have heard a lot about candidates being asked to wait for 4 weeks for background check without any reasons. These wait in turn take more then 3+ months before visa is issued.

My questions to this group is:

Does this happen with every one or only with those people whose names match the hit list?

Does this happen with people who have filed green card (though I haven’t filed but plan to do this after I come back from India.).

Does this happen with people who go do the h1 /h4 renewal for 2nd or 3rd time.

I am confused. Please guide.

I also want to know how do people manage their running expenses in US while they are in India. What about rent, car installment, CC bills, phone bill, electricity bill etc when you are India and don’t have U.S salary. Plus expenses in India & additional frustration…

Please share your experiences.

patel

I have never heard of such a thing. I have gone to Mumbai three times for my H1 extension. Never had any problems. Interviews lasted for 2 minutes. Go ahead and plan your trip without any worries. Hope this helps.

This has nothing to do with your H1 renewal whether it is first time or multiple times and nor it is related to any particular consulate

when ever you go for visa stamping now days the consulate runs your name check against their databases.

if any comes up then it is up to the VO to decide the next course of action.

There is nothing you can do about it.

I have done my visa renewal 3 times, out of which last 2 times were in Mumbai. I had no issues

there were some people who got stuck but the number was very small.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the comments. I feel better now. But recently 2 Colleagues from my desi company went to India and are stuck because of backgroup check. Does it mean everyone who works for that company have to go through background check.

if it background check then it is purely your name and related stuff.

if it 221g it generally is related to the company profile, or their ability to pay you or if they think you are not qualified for the job.

Hope this answers your questions