H1- H1 - When can I start the work?

desi2002

Hi,

I have an offer with a company and I am planning to start a H1-H1 transfer. Can someone please let me know when I can start working for this new employer? Can I start once I file the H1 transfer papers or can I start only after receiving the receit notice from INS? These days I hear that even to get a receipt notice it takes few weeks. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

to be very safe wait for receipt notices...although

some lawyer can ask you to join even with the mailing receipt from the courier / USPS

How long to get receipt # in CSC for H1-H1 transfer?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. I was also told by a few folks that the FedEx tracking # is enough to start the job whereas few others suggest that I got to wait till I get the receipt # for the H-H transfer application process. Does anyone know which noe is true?

Thanks in advance,

AC 21 clause 105 on visa portability

provides you leeway to join the new company as soon as you have "filed" a non frivolous h1 to h1 with INS.
A fedex receipt is enough to join the new company. Generally the receipt notices are sent a few weeks BEFORE the H1 approval, which can be 3 months to 6 months in your case (unless if it is a premium processing type petition)