H1 and Canadian PR ...How to maintain both?

modern star

Registered Users (C)
Hi friends
I have my Canadian PR Visa with expiry date in May,2001. Also I would like to mention that I have a highly paid job in India as an IT Professional. My aim is to get a good job in USA and at the same time to maintain Canadian Permanent Residensy.
Since the Canadian IT Job Market is really bad as compared to that of USA...I would not like to have a professional job in Canada. So currently I m trying to make a strong and workable strategy to make this happen. I suppose I can get H1 from an Employer in US looking at my professional background. How can I maintain H1 and Canadian PR both at the same time..? Please advise a strategy..

thanks
Rajan

No Title

I respectfully disagree with your opinion that IT market is bad in Canada. I am a canadian citizen, worked in canada and have been working now in US for many years in IT.If you have a landing immigrant status in Canada and you are qualified(I mean if you have a Bachelors degree in computer science or related field and have 2-3 years IT work experiece in India), then u would be able to get a job in 4-5 months after arrival in canada. You probably won\'t be making as much as if u would have worked in US. But remember you would be working in US with H1B status. I have worked in H1B visa and believe me, companies would be exploiting you or take advantage because of your immigration status.
advice on maintaining both H1B and landing in Canada would be difficult until you work and stay in border areas like work in detroit and stay in winsdor, canada.My friends have done that and this would be the only legal and easiest way to maintain both.
I have couple of friends who used to work in buffalo and used to stay in Niagra falls, canada.All you have to do is report the earnings in US to revenue canada and file taxes in Canada and US both.
The only disadvantage would be that you would be paying 8-10% tax more.

No Title

Dear Mr. Madrasi
I m planning to visit canada as I got Canadian PR. As it is important to make actions for initial Establishment in Canada... I need to get SIN , Health Card, Bank Credit Card, a Postal Address and some more like it. My question is how many days does it take to complete all these tasks ??? and from where shall I get all Contact info. in detail and what documents shall i Require ? Please respond soon so that I can schedule my trip accordingly.

Many Thanks.
Rajan

No Title

Dear Mr Modern star,
Congratulations for getting your Canadian Landing paper.Once you land in Canada(I need to know where you would be landing like Toronto, montreal or vancouver to give specific recommendation), you need to find a place to stay. Try to find a place where you can stay at least for 6 months. The reason everything you apply like SIN, bank cards,health card, driver license, credit cards are all mailed in your address. So it is very important to have a reliable address.Once you have an address, you need to go to apply SIN.For applying SIN card, you need your original landing papers and your passport. It would be mailed in 3-4 weeks.After applying SIN card(do not wait to get)please go to a bank and apply for a free checking account. Please take your landing papers and passport with you. They will ask for your SIN #. Tell them that you are a new immigrant and once you have that #, you will call the bank and provide the #.Get some temporary checks from them and the permanent checks would be mailed in your address.
Do not apply for credit cards immediately because you won\'t get it . It takes some time to build credit history and eventually u would get it. The next important thing you would do is apply for a driving license. It you pass the written and driving test, they will mail the permanent license card in your address.
After getting license, you need to apply immediately for health card. For applying health card, you need two picture id. You already have that-D. license and passport. If you do not get or pass your driving license in 2-3 months, do not wait for long. Please go to health center, and apply for a health card.

Mr Modern star, I need to know where you would be landing in Canada and from where like India or United States. The reason is if you move from United states, you will get got of advantage. Like if you have an US Drivers license, you do not need to take a driving test in Canada. All you need to take a written test which is very very easy. There are so many advantages I can let you know later.Also I can guide you more specifically.
I am from toronto and can tell you about toronto.

Thanks

No Title

Dear Mr.Madrasi
Thanks for replying to me. The thing is I will have about a week or so for my Canada Landing Visit. That is \'cos I have a highly paid job and my employer shall be allowing me only a week or so only. I m currently in UAE. So my aim is to do all Mimimum required tasks for Initial establishment and then immediatly return to UAE for my current job. I really dont have another option. I cannot stay for six months in canada to do initial tasks and being jobless for several months. (For personal reasons I cannot afford that kinda financial loss at this stage of my life.....)

Q1 : However I will be flying from India to Canada (This is another question..... for an Indian National.....Is it a problem flying from India when I m doing full time job in UAE but arriving to canada after my short trip to India ??? )

Q2 : I have relatives in US ... Corresponding with them to get a good contact in Canada. Hotel accomodation is advisable in Toronto ?

Q3 : Do u think I can complete Tasks like SIN, bank cards,health card, driver license, credit cards in a week\'s time ??? OR which are
important and easy to finish fast with priority ??

Q4 : Why do I need to apply for Health Card only after getting D-Licence.?

Q5 : How my relatives in US can help me?

Q6 : Are there any national Canadian Holidays falling in Mar 2001 when all govt offices will be closed ... so to plan my landing date....

Many Thanks

No Title

Dear Mr Modern Star,
I will answer all of your questions later as they are good ones. But one thing interesting to know is that when are you planning to come back to Canada after returning to UAE? Because if you do not stay 180 days in a calendar year, your landing status would be revoked unless you have a return permit. If your goal is to stay as much time as possible in UAE before returning permanently to Canada, then it makes sense. In that case please apply for a return permit which will allow you to stay outside of Canada for an extended period of time and you do not have to maintain 180 days for that period.
Hope it helps you.

No Title

Hi Madrasi,
I want a big advice from you. I have my landed paper expiring in Feb 2001. I am on H4 and my husband on H1. We applied for PR in Nov.1999. Subsequently my husband got a good and secured job and the current employer is going to start his GC. I have 2 boys one in high school and doing very well. We want to maintain the PR.
We have 2 options: 1) Land in Canada and apply for returning resident permit or 2) Write a letter to Canadian INS to extend our time limit.
What do you suggest?
We plan to land in Vancouver as we live in Seattle. Can the formalities of SS, health card etc. get over in 4 days as my children and husband have to return.Ofcourse we can visit many times in between as it is just 3 hours drive from our place.Can we give our Seattle address for correspondence or have we to give a local addess? How soon should we apply for returning resident permit? Can we wait for few months after we land and return.
What is the best reason we can give in the application for returning resident? How many months/years do they allow us to stay out of Canada?
Kindly advice

No Title

hello rana1982,
The best possible recomendation and solution would be to apply for a returning permit from USA. What I mean by, by applying returning permit from uSA, you guys are delaying the landing in Canada. Folks have done that but you have to come with a good excuse. I have to really think about the excuse.This would give you guys some more time to stay in USA and still maintain valid Canadian landing paper.
Remember unless you land in Canada, you guys do not have a landing immigrant status. All you have now landing papers.
Suppose they give you return permit for 1 year, then I have a possible solution.In this case, you guys have to land in Canada before the deadline. Applying again for an extension would be very hard. In that case, I would recommend that you and your kids can move to Vancouver(after landing in Canada with you kids and husband)and stay there.You husband after landing in Canada can come back to USA and work in seatle.I can give specific recommendation later.

No Title

Thank you Madrasi. We are planning to go to Canada for stamping in January.
1) When have we to apply for returning resident permit? Immediately after we return to USA or we can wait for a few months.
2) My husband has joined his new employer in May and he cannot leave before next May and schools are closing in June. So if we give this as an excuse in the permit letter will we get the returning permit?Will we get for 1 year?
Regarding my kids staying back in Vancouver they don\'t want to move from here. I am having a tough job of convincing them.
Also tell me some details of doing the routine work of getting SS,health card etc.at Vancouver.
Thank you in advance.

No Title

Hello Rana1982,
It would be better to apply for a returning permit after you have landed in Canada and coming back to USA. So please apply from USA.
I have done that once long time back when I went to india for more than 6 months due to my father\'s death.I had applied in India. You just have to come with an good reason.
I am not sure if your excuse would be a good one. i still have to think and get it back to you.In my case , I had given a copy of my father\'s death certificate. It was also 11 years ago and things have changed a lot.
Please go to www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/return_e.html and read more about returning residents.
Also if ou guys (at least you and your kids) do not move to Canada
then your landing status would be revoked at the port of entry. Why are you having a hard time convincing your kids. tell them Vancouver as good as Seattle and they have to stay there temporarily. Once you guys get Canadian citizenship, you are free to stay anywhere in the world.

When you land in vancouver, please apply for SIN and bank account.You will not be able to apply for health card as they want some proof like (partment lease paper or home)that you have been staying in BC.
I used to live in Toronto and I am very familiar With toronto and Ontario. There will be so many places in Vancouver where you can apply SIN card.So do not worry.

No Title

Hi Madrasi
Thanks a lot. My husband\'s employer has taken a written agreement from him that if leaves the company before May 2001 he will have to reimburse relocation charges. Relocation charges were about 10000$. So will this not be a reason to apply for returning permit.
What if we plan to spend our weekends and holidays totalling to 183 days? Or only I stay back? Will that not be sufficient to maintain our PR?
By the way are you really a madrasi? I am!

No Title

hello Rana,
Yes, this might be a good reason to apply for repermit and probably they will give it based on this reason.
However your theory to stay in weekends and holidays won,t be practical. Come on, its not even close to 183 days.
Best would be you stay back in canada with your kids.I am a Canadian madrasi which means I do not speak much Tamil. I speak only English and French.

No Title

If I get my Canadian Citizenship after 3 years from now. Will I be able to come back and work in U.S..(Background : I applied my PR and got it in last Year(Aug 2000).I went to Canada and got the PR paper work stamped for me and my wife.) I am currently on H1 from U.S California and it will be expired on JULY14 2002. Atornies over here(California) says that my chances of getting Green card of U.S.A within that period is very slim. One of the advises I am getting is that if I goto Canada(right now I am on RRP until Jan 31 2002)and stay there for 3 years and get my canadian citizenship, I am free to come to U.S.A and work or stay(In fact free to go and live anywhere!!!). I know about TN Visas but apart from TN or H1B1 is there any special rules for Candians that they only can avail for U.S.A.If anybody can advise me if that is true, I will really appriciate. My email moloyus@yahoo.com.
Thank You

No Title

Is anyone working in detroit , living in Windsor(ON)?
I am getting my canadian PR. I am planning to maintain my canadian PR and at the same time earn in USD by working in USA. I heard that many canadian PR\'s do the same by living in Windsor, ON and commuting on H1 to Detroit,MI?. I am a Oracle DBA with 6 years US experience. Can anyone advice me of any good companies in Detroit that will process H1B.