H-1 and working as consultant

zaffar

Registered Users (C)
I have two questions:

1) I am a physician in the US on an H1 and a software company wants to hire me as a consultant for a period of 3 months. They would be sending me a form 1099 for tax purposes? Can i work for this company without another H-1?

2) I am planning to accquire a minorty (5%) share in this start up company at a later date. Can they then hire me permanently as a consultant and sponsor me for a green card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by zaffar
I have two questions:

1) I am a physician in the US on an H1 and a software company wants to hire me as a consultant for a period of 3 months. They would be sending me a form 1099 for tax purposes? Can i work for this company without another H-1? you need to have proper work authorization (h1 or ead) to work for a company. You cannot work on 1099 on h1.

2) I am planning to accquire a minorty (5%) share in this start up company at a later date. Can they then hire me permanently as a consultant and sponsor me for a green card. a big NO. if you 5% or more share in any company then that company cannot sponsor your greencard. its equivalent to your own company. but you may work in that company on h1 without any issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.