greencard while on J1 visa

ssa27

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I am on J1 visa which i had gotten from canada. I recently recieved the adisory opinion that i am not subject to 2 year HRR. My question is can i apply for greencard while on J1 visa or i need to be on H1.

You can apply from a J-1. You certainly do not need to be on any specific type of visa (generally) in order to apply for a green card, provided you are eligible. Make sure to include a copy of the advisory opinion with your I-485.

Of course, other factors (an approved immigrant petition, being from a non-retrogressed country, etc) still apply.

Hi ssa27
R u indian citizen ?? because i am also citizen of india and i got my J1 from Ireland , and in the visa they mentioned that i am not subjected to 2 year HRR rule , but i am not sure whether i still subject to 2 year rule or not ???
can you give me some help in this regard
Sridhar

Hi ssa27
R u indian citizen ?? because i am also citizen of india and i got my J1 from Ireland , and in the visa they mentioned that i am not subjected to 2 year HRR rule , but i am not sure whether i still subject to 2 year rule or not ???
can you give me some help in this regard
Sridhar

Whatever the J visa from, doesn't matter. The application for green card, waiver.....etc depends on your country of citizenship and country of birth. In your case, India is your country. No question in the green card will ask you from where you got the visa, but what country you born in and what is your citizenship.

Can I change from J1 to H1b while my GC is under process. I mean I want to apply for GC while I'm on J1 but can I change to H1b later on if my J1 is going to expire and decision abt GC is not taken.
Thanks
Frenz

if you cannot file I-485 right away, but only I-140 at first, then you need to have another status (H1?) after your J-1 expires.

GC with J1 ...not possible.

J1 is a non immigrant visa....I don't think one can apply for GC while on J1...
One needs a H1 to start the process on GC...becos H1 is a dual intent visa....immigrant visa....

J1 is a non immigrant visa....I don't think one can apply for GC while on J1...
One needs a H1 to start the process on GC...becos H1 is a dual intent visa....immigrant visa....

This is absolutely not true.

Whatever the J visa from, doesn't matter. The application for green card, waiver.....etc depends on your country of citizenship and country of birth. In your case, India is your country. No question in the green card will ask you from where you got the visa, but what country you born in and what is your citizenship.

Actually, page 2 of the I-485 application does ask for the number of the visa used to last enter the US, the city where it was issued, and port and date of last entry.