Greencard thru marriage with a citizen with tax troubles

GreenCardNotYet

Registered Users (C)
I got citizenship last month.

I have had tax trouble but installment has been established-hence the citizenship.

I have been living with my ex-wife for three years after she overstayed with a travel visa.
We are not married yet but planning to very soon.

My son as a citizen as well has been my dependent for the past three years.
My wife has not been filed as my dependent when filing tax return.

My questions are:

1. What are the most reasonable steps to get her greencard?

2. Am I eligible to sponsor her when I have tax installment setup with IRS?
My income is around $45k now.

3. Won't we have any trouble for greencard when she has been living with me but not filed as my dependent for tsax return?

Thanks for your kind and detailed reply in advance.

Chris

You are planning to remarry your ex wife?
I got citizenship last month.

I have had tax trouble but installment has been established-hence the citizenship.

I have been living with my ex-wife for three years after she overstayed with a travel visa.
We are not married yet but planning to very soon...............

Chris

It'll bring up few questions for you during the process:

- How you got yr GC? Thru marriage to USC?
- How long that marriage was, when you got divorced?
- Your son is from your marriage with your ex-wife earlier?

I got GC thru work.

We married back in 1992 abroad, came to the US that year (had a son in 1993), and divorced in 1995 back abroad-3 years of marriage.
We had lived our separate lives for 14 years.

We decided to get back together when my son needed his dad 4 years ago, in 2008.

And yes, my son is from my marriage with this same woman.

So only one wife and one son are involved here.

Thanks.

Is she in US or abroad? If she is in US just get married and apply for GC. Should be easy. I'm not sure what troubles can your tax problems cause. Maybe you will have to find another sponsor.

If she isn't in the US was she in removal proceeding ever? Has she ever been deported? If yes how long ago?

No. None of that.

Tax trouble has been resolved with IRS with installment agreement-Can I still sponsor?

She's in the US overstayed for 3 years. No removal history or deportation procedure or any of that.

What are the documents needed for her GC?

As long as I know you should be able to sponsor if you have over $18000 income I think.

You need to file the following documents:

I130 - Petition for alien relative...
I485 - Application to adjust status
I765 - Employment authorization document
I864 Affidavit of support.

Do the research and if necessary consult or hire lawyer. If you decide to go in to the process by yourself (without lawyer) read instruction of every application carefully.

As long as I know you should be able to sponsor if you have over $18000 income I think.

You need to file the following documents:

I130 - Petition for alien relative...
I485 - Application to adjust status
I765 - Employment authorization document
I864 Affidavit of support.

Do the research and if necessary consult or hire lawyer. If you decide to go in to the process by yourself (without lawyer) read instruction of every application carefully.

Thank you so much.