GreenCard Expires in 7 Months. OK to Apply for Citizenship Instead?

Gumbochief

I am rapidly approaching the 10 year mark on my current GC.
Instead of renewing the card, I am thinking of applying for citizenship.

My concern is that given that citizenship could take 2 years to attain, should I also renew my green card? Or will my residency documents be automatically extended by way of the N-400 application?

Given the fees, I would rather not file both.

Finally, I travel internationally at least every 3 months. In other words, having expired documents is probably not a good idea.

Thanks for any advice.

Applying for n-400 does not provide any travel document or residency documents. So you need to apply for greencard renewal. Also depending on location n-400 caould be approved in as little as 4-6months or more than 2years if unlucky.

-g

Right from USCIS website

Q. What should I do if I've already applied for naturalization and my card is expiring? Do I still need to renew my Green Card and pay the $130 renewal application fee?

A. If you have applied for naturalization more than six months prior to your card's expiration you do not need to apply to renew your Green Card. If you are in the process of obtaining new employment you may use other documents listed on the Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification Form) for employment verification purposes. However, if you need a new Green Card for employment or benefits verification purposes, you should apply and pay the $130 filing fee to renew your expiring Green Card.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/questsans/00.12GREENCARD_QA.htm

Thank you. This statement is unclear on what one should do for re-entry/travel documents, but at least I have something I can reference now.
Thanks

Vmlnj said:
Q. What should I do if I've already applied for naturalization and my card is expiring? Do I still need to renew my Green Card and pay the $130 renewal application fee?

A. If you have applied for naturalization more than six months prior to your card's expiration you do not need to apply to renew your Green Card. If you are in the process of obtaining new employment you may use other documents listed on the Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification Form) for employment verification purposes. However, if you need a new Green Card for employment or benefits verification purposes, you should apply and pay the $130 filing fee to renew your expiring Green Card.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/questsans/00.12GREENCARD_QA.htm