1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green card rules for stay outside US and if need an extension

Discussion in 'Life After The Green Card' started by kava09, Dec 4, 2010.

  1. kava09

    kava09 New Member

    I know the stay outside US should be maximum 6 months . But then is there a minimum period one needs to stay in US after that, before he plans another trip outside US

    My mind state is too disturbed after my wife passed away recently. I might would like to stay in India for like a year, to plan things and future

    What reason I can give to extend my stay in India over 6 months. Can a disturbed mental state be a valid reason ?. And when I should apply for that and what exactly I need to do ?

    Is there a official link where I can see this information ?...Thanks
  2. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    You must obtain a re-entry permit if you plan to be abroad for a year or more at one time. A standard re-entry permit is issued with a validity period of 2 years and may not be extended.

    A second re-entry permit may be applied for and issued for another 2 years.

    A 3rd re-entry permit may be applied for and issued for 1 year only. IF a 3rd permit is issued is not a certainty, restrictions apply and ALL 3 such permits are a matter of discretion in the first place.

    A re-entry permit is may only be issued IF applied for from within the U.S., you will be required to be fingerprinted and photographed. AFTER the biometrics you may proceed abroad. You may request that the permit be sent to a Consulate or DHS Office abroad.

    ONLY a Refugee Travel Document may be applied for and issued from abroad under very strict requirements and circumstances.

    Neither document preserves residence for naturalization purposes and that is a whole other issue completely with its own set of regulations and statutes.

    READ the I-131 Form Instructions very carefully. If you want to read the regulations it is covered in 8 CFR 223 at this link.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010

Share This Page