green card name is not matching SSN

hqusaplus

I have Chinese name "Zhong" on my green card, Before I got green card, I applied American name "John" on my SSN card. This was before 911. So I got "john" SSN card easily, then my Driver License got "John" too, I use "John" everywhere in life since then, now 10+ years passed, when I moved to a new state to change Driver License, the DMV only consider Green card as the "primary document", "zhong" is not matching SSN card, they refused to issue Driver License. Does anyone have the same experience and How to resolve this? thanks!

Last edited:
There are three options:

1. Change the name on your SS card to Zhong. You'll need your birth certificate and its English translation. Explain to them that it is a name correction to make it consistent with your birth certificate, not an actual name change.
or
2. Officially change your name to John using the name change process with your local court system, then file I-90 to change your green card to John.
or
3. Apply for US citizenship and ask for a name change, as they offer formal name changes as part of the naturalization process for those who want it.

#1 will be the quickest and cheapest option; the new SS card will be issued in 2 weeks and you don't have to pay for it, but it means your documents will have "Zhong" instead of the "John" which you want.

Thanks Jackolantern for the detailed reply!
question about #2. - if I change green card name to "John", my Chinese passport is still using name "Zhong", does this affect my international travel?

Last edited:
You wouldn't have a problem entering other countries, as they would only see your Chinese passport and wouldn't be aware of any discrepancy. But you might have a problem reentering the US, although that can be mitigated by also carrying your name change document from the court.