Green Card Holder returned from India with new born child

No. You don't need to petition your baby. You baby is already a US permanent resident. When your wife, who is a permanent resident, had the baby during a temporary trip abroad, brought the baby with her to the US, while the baby was under age 2, and on you or your wife's first return to the US after the baby was born, the baby was admitted as a permanent resident without needing an immigrant visa. There should be an I-551 stamp on the baby's passport as evidence of permanent residency. A plastic green card for the baby should eventually arrive.

You should be able to get additional copies of the birth certificate from the authorities of the place of birth.

Thanks a lot for your timely response, newacct.

My baby's passport doesnt have I-551 stamp, its written NA3, in place of class. We took her to SSN office last week, but they denied giving SSN, saying that this is visitor visa class. We need to go back with her green card inorder to receive SSN. We are confused. Do you have any idea about this situation?
Greatly appreciate your time.

Thanks a lot for your timely response, newacct.

My baby's passport doesnt have I-551 stamp, its written NA3, in place of class. We took her to SSN office last week, but they denied giving SSN, saying that this is visitor visa class. We need to go back with her green card inorder to receive SSN. We are confused. Do you have any idea about this situation?
Greatly appreciate your time.
NA3 is a green card class of admission, corresponding exactly to the case of a child born to a permanent resident abroad who was admitted as a permanent resident without needing an immigrant visa. Unfortunately, there have been other cases on this forum of people with children admitted on NA3 who have been waiting a long time without getting a green card and have been unable to apply for other things, so you may have the same problems too.

NA3 is a green card class of admission, corresponding exactly to the case of a child born to a permanent resident abroad who was admitted as a permanent resident without needing an immigrant visa. Unfortunately, there have been on this forum of people with children admitted on NA3 who have been waiting a long time without getting a green card and have been unable to apply for other things, so you may have the same problems too.
Thanks a lot for the information. The link you cited is very useful.
I think we will go ahead with the Infopass appointment, but the question in mind now is how to get the original birth certificate back, as the hospital may not issue it again.