Green Card for Parents: I-94 expires what to do?

siliconhybrid

Registered Users (C)
Hi I am applying for my parents GC (my wife and I both are US citizen). They came here on July 2012 with B1 visitor visa and then after a couple of months decided to live here in US. They both have completed fingerprints on 1 November 2012. No news yet as of now Feb 2013

Can someone please help me with these questions:

1) Their I-94 from B1 visa will expire in the next 2-3 weeks i.e end of Feb 2013. Do I need to do anything to ensure they are still legal living here? like report to USCIS that there's I-130/I-485 application pending.

2) I looked at some timeline from posters here, it seem people get interview letter within 2 months of completed fingerprints, it has been about 3 months now, and no news whatsoever. Is this normal? If I setup infopass appointment, will they be able to tell me what the application status is?

THANKKSSSSS

1) If you have a receipt notice for I-485, their stay continues to be legal as long as I-485 is pending.
2) Give it another month. Did you send all required supporting documentation (birth certificate, marriage certificates) and medical report? Did you also file for EAD and/or AP? (forms I-765 and I-131 respectively) EAD+AP is a good federal temporary photo ID and allows one to travel outside US and return while petition is still pending.

After filing for adjustment of status there is no issue in continuing to stay even if visa expires. Before green card is issued if they want to travel outside US they can use advance parole with Form I-131.

The time it takes to get an interview depends on how many cases are processing at your local district office.

1) If you have a receipt notice for I-485, their stay continues to be legal as long as I-485 is pending.
2) Give it another month. Did you send all required supporting documentation (birth certificate, marriage certificates) and medical report? Did you also file for EAD and/or AP? (forms I-765 and I-131 respectively) EAD+AP is a good federal temporary photo ID and allows one to travel outside US and return while petition is still pending.

Yes, we send everything in the package (Birth Cert, Marriage Cert, with translations) and all medical report.
No we did not apply for EAD or AP. I assume it was going to take about 4-5 month to get the greencard. It has been almost 4.5 month since the application submission, and so far zero news after fingerprints.

I just checked the USCIS case status: Both parents status are in Initial Review
At least it moved from Acceptance to Initial Review

Last edited by a moderator: