Green Card - Citizenship

psilva00

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

I have a question. If someone has a Green Card but has a job offer overseas, can this person just come to US every six months in and out quickly until citizenship interview or this person has to pay taxes in the US? What is the rules for this situation?

Thank you

I think you are going to hear a difference of opinions. One thing is for sure, you have to file taxes in the US. Then it might be a bit fuzzier, but what I've read in this forum and perhaps in other places is that taking a foreign job, in particular if it is for a foreign company is a big no-no. Coming every 6 months might work for a while to keep your Green Card, but eventually it might lead to losing your Green Card and it might also be construed by the IO as breaking continuous residence for the purposes of naturalization. I don't know how close you are to naturalize, but if the job is good and you don't feel too strongly about naturalization then think that you will not naturalize and keep the green card, give up the green card and build a new life overseas. Otherwise stay put in the US and help us come out of this economic crisis ;)

No, that "visit the US once every 6 months" doesn't work for naturalization.

Yes it is true that one trip of under 6 months doesn't break continuous residence. But that's if it's just one trip. A series of multiple trips of under 6 months each can be seen as a break in residence.

If you keep the greencard, you will have to file US tax returns. The US is one of two jurisidictions with worldwide taxation (i.e., irrespective of source of income) of its citizens AND permanent residents. Whether you actually pay any tax to the IRS depends on how much you make, the terms of the applicable tax treaty and whether the new country is a higher or lower tax jursidiction compared to the US.

You can try greencard surfing, but with travel pattern, current address disclosure, etc., you probably won't pass the interview.

If your employer is US, see if you're eligible for N-470. N-470 will preserve your continuous residency and you'll be okay. Good luck.