Green Card & Canadian permanent card??

jemilianl

Registered Users (C)
hi all
I have a green card and physically live in state for more than 3 years, now because of work and family, i went to canada to work. But I am in and out State and Canada. I also try to apply for canadian permanent card. Is it going to be a problem? I am also going to apply for US citizenship next year. Does anyone have this kind of situation? Thanks.

Technically you cannot be a permanent resident of two countries at the same time. It is better to get US Citizenship before getting Canadian PR. There is a commuter US GC, but not sure whether you qualify for it. Also if you qualify for commuter GC, the time accumulated could not be used for US Citizenship. You should be a regular US GC for applying for US Citizenship.

Just the opposite it's true.You have no problem being US and Canadian LPR at the same time.

rem said:
Just the opposite it's true.You have no problem being US and Canadian LPR at the same time.

By obtaining permanent residency of another country, you have indicated that you intend to live there permanently instead of the US, which can be considered abandonment of US permanent residency.