• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

green card activation and leaving us for a certain period of times

arscarlet

Hi

If I fly to USA on Aug 1st 2022(to activate LPR status), stay there until Aug 7th 2022 and come back to my country.
Meanwhile, I request to send my Greengard to my friend's address (in USA) and ask my friend (in USA) to send my Greengard back to me (in my country).

1) In this scenario, would there be any problems on my Greengard and SSN issuance - such as the USCIS suspect that I am not physically in the USA and cancel my Greengard production?

If I successfully receive my physical green card, and I return to USA on Feb 1st 2023 (179 days from Aug 7th 2022) .

2) Will I have any issue at a port of entry?
3) will my Greengard holding period be reset?

Thank you

1. You are allowed to leave the US once you become a LPR ! It’s a free country. Nothing in law says you need to be physically present when your green card is issued, and many DV winners do what you do. Just be sure to have your friend courier your GC rather than use normal mail: or, have your friend keep it safe for you until you get back and use your temporary green card (stamped visa in passport ) for re-entry, assuming you don’t need a plastic green card for another reason (like a visa waiver for transiting the UK).

2. First you are clearly trying to keep it under 180 days. I would not leave it so close, one bad weather day or delay for other reasons would put you over. Second it depends on the CBP officer at entry. If you are coming back in on a one way ticket you will probably have zero issues. If you are coming back for another temporary stay.. speaking from personal experience (5.5 month absence) …you may get some questions about residence intentions.

3. By “holding period” I assume you mean your presence/ absence. Yes, those reset - days start being counted again - every time you enter or leave. I suggest you familiarize yourself with the following links, dealing with the separate but related issues of maintaining permanent residence (to keep your green card) and continuous residence (for naturalization purposes)