Grace period for updating i-9 form

nervewreck

Registered Users (C)
Folks,
Do we know how long can we wait before updating the i-9 employment verification form, after we receive the green card?

I have been on H1 with my employer, and my green card recently got approved. When I checked the reverification process for i-9, it mentions that i-9 verification should be completed before the current authorization expires.

My current i-9 has H1 as my authorization, but don't I lose H1 status as soon as 485 gets approved?

Please advise!

Look it up on www.uscis.gov on their I-9 Central link/page. Do it ASAP.

IF I were an employer and an H1-B employee got a greencard and did not show me immediately and then I got fined by ICE after an audit, I would fire that employee for screwing me over and tell all my friends and any prospective new employer checking references and work history.

Last edited by a moderator:
IF I were an employer and an H1-B employee got a greencard and did not show me immediately and then I got fined by ICE after an audit, I would fire that employee for screwing me over and tell all my friends and any prospective new employer checking references and work history.

That is unnecessary scaremongering.

The company wouldn't get into trouble in that scenario. They're not required to reverify the I-9 before the expiration date of the H1B (or other work-allowed status).

And the worker wouldn't get in trouble either, assuming they continuously maintained work authorization including the transition from H1B to GC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks jackolantern - you are right on the mark on this. Confirmed by my company's i9 expert.

BigJoe5 - I just checked with my company's I9 representative (We have a group who deal with this verification process) and I was told that it is required to be done sooner than later, but there is no restriction or a set time frame, as long as H1 does not expire, and date of status expiration mentioned on I9 is not fast approaching. There is an automated mechanism where employees will be notified when the date of expiration on i9 is closing in.

-nervewreck