Got stopped by a cop

ORF757

Registered Users (C)
Okay, I was taking my mother to work today and I got stopped by the police for doing 35 on a 25 and not wearing my seatbelt. He gave me a warning for speeding but he gave me a warning ticket for not wearing my seatbelt. Before I sign the warning ticket, I told him that I'm taking the oath ceremony on August 6 and asked him if its gonna be a problem when I take the oath, but he said no. He said I don't have to go to court, just send a $25 check before September 11th. Since this is my first ticket, I'm nervous as hell and I'm kind of freaking out right now.

Now, my question is, is this gonna be a pain in the ***? Remember, I'm taking the oath on August 6. Also, I have this form, N-445, (question #4) asking, "Have you been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, including traffic violations?" I don't know if I should answer Yes or No. But I asked my friends, they told me to answer No. Anyway, is anyone here having or had the same problem? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there is any problem but that is not for a local cop to ansdwer
there is no problem for oath.

In theory there is no problem with traffic violation but the trouble is that
USCIS officers who handle oath ceremony may not be expereienced enough
to know what to do when an oath take present a Yes answer and to be conservative, he may pull you off the oath saying
something need to be sorted out. If things are sorted out before the oath starts, everything would be fine. But the whole
oath ceremany may not wait for you. The oath officer may need to speak to a supervisor, who may not be avalable
or do not bother to answer on teh spot. The officer may ask you to wait for reschedule. No one has enough
data to assess how likelyit can occur.

In theory, you should answer Yes, but in practice, I think most people do not disclose traffic violations at all.
It is up to you to decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I was taking my mother to work today and I got stopped by the police for doing 35 on a 25 and not wearing my seatbelt. He gave me a warning for speeding but he gave me a warning ticket for not wearing my seatbelt. Before I sign the warning ticket, I told him that I'm taking the oath ceremony on August 6 and asked him if its gonna be a problem when I take the oath, but he said no. He said I don't have to go to court, just send a $25 check before September 11th. Since this is my first ticket, I'm nervous as hell and I'm kind of freaking out right now.

Now, my question is, is this gonna be a pain is the ***? Remember, I'm taking the oath on August 6. Also, I have this form, N-445, (question #4) asking, "Have you been arrested, cited, charged, indicted, convicted, fined or imprisoned for breaking or violating any law or ordinance, including traffic violations?" I don't know if I should answer Yes or No. But I asked my friends, they told me to answer No. Anyway, is anyone here having or had the same problem? Thanks.

If the letter says "including traffic violations" then you must answer "yes". There are no two ways about it. It is a no-brainer.

I reported it. Showed the receipt. They called the supervisor and I was okay to take the oath.... I just didnt want to start an oath ceremoney with a lie. Not a big deal but...

pay the ticket. take the receipt with u to oath. answer yes.. show them proof that you paid and its a non-issue. take oath, become usc ..simple..

I reported it. Showed the receipt. They called the supervisor and I was okay to take the oath.... I just didnt want to start an oath ceremoney with a lie. Not a big deal but...

Yeah, that's what I'm about to do. I'll pay the fine and show them the receipt. But I won't answer the Yes/No question til I get there. I'm going to explain to them what happened. I'm with you SunnyJ, I just can't lie.

@SunnyJ: Why did you get a ticket though? for not wearing your seatbelt, too?

Hey guys, I just got home from my oath ceremony, and guess what? hahaha.. I know you know the answer. But anyway, I asked the guy who interviewed me about the ticket, he let me answer Yes to the question (form N-445 question #4) and then he wrote "safety belt violation" beside it and gave me a sheet of paper that contains my seat number. The ceremony itself took about an hour but seating arrangement and certificate verification took more than 2 hours. They were 88 of us and about 50% were Filipinos and I'm one of them. We had to introduce ourselves one by one, by saying your name and what country you're from. I'm not gonna write a paragraph here, so my questions are:

What do I need to do next, other than applying for a passport and updating my social security? What other stuff should I update? Thanks.

Congrats ORF757,, Yes they did the same thing to me, wrote down the violation ( speeding over 4 miles!!).

Once you do have the passport, Social Security, as a Voter is the next big thing. For others, like me, we have to re-apply for citizeship for my homeland, apply for OCI/OCP, etc.

congrats!

congratulations !
You can inform also your employer. So, passport, social security, register for vote, and employer, these
are all which I did.

Thanks for replying guys! I'll try to visit a local social security office tomorrow. I don't have money for passport right now, I'm broke and plus I'm not traveling anywhere.

Q: After Citizenship, for the Social security update do one have to fill out the new form or just provide the reqd docs to update the SS informations.

Q: After Citizenship, for the Social security update do one have to fill out the new form or just provide the reqd docs to update the SS informations.
If you didn't already get a SS card without the employment restriction printed on it (which you should have done when you got a green card, but many people don't), you'll need to fill out a SS-5 form for requesting the updated card.