Got my waiver

streddy

Registered Users (C)
Got my waiver + timeline

Hi all,

I got my waiver finally. Here's my story :
I came to US on a j1, from a european country, instead from India.

Since my passport/visa was stamped that I am not subject to HRR, me and my college assumed that I dont need to get a waiver. The unpleasant enlightenment was in when my attorney was filing for H1B : that indeed I do need the waiver and the stamp on my visa does not mean anything.

I didn't waste a day after that. I searched / and still do / the internet (esp. murthy and khanna forums) for all the info I could get on j1 waiver.

1. Firstly, I took the maximum allowed extension on my J1 (total 3 and half yr) which meant that I had exactly one year to get my waiver.

2.got a new passport from chicago as my passport was due to expire.

3. sent all the forms to india : my parents pursued my case in india and I got all three NO OBJ within 2 months. (BTW I am from Hyd/Secbad, AP)

3. Meanwhile, I applied for the case no with DOS: got it within 2 weeks. (BTW, you dont need any NO OBJ / waiver letter from Indian embassy to apply for case no)

4. With the 3 no obj lett and case no, applied for a waiver with indian embassy : took 2 weeks to get the letter from chicago.

5. Within next 10 days I got the waiver from Indian embassy, washington DC.

6. By then, I sent the statement (reasons for not fulfilling HRR) to DOS.

7. DOS received all my documents incl waiver from indian embassy by dec 3 week, as their waiver update indicated.

8. At this time, I was expecting to hear from DOS within 2-3 weeks, as most of my colleagues did. After the 8 week time which DOS anticipates for No Obj waiver, I started enquiring the status of my case every few days on phone/fax/mail. All the info I could get from them was already on their web-site !

9. After three months wait, upon request my college cummunicated with DOS through their liaison to speed things up.

10. Beleive it or not : I even contacted the local senator's office for help.

11. Eventually, I got my waiver today exactly after four months of excruciating wait and I am still five months away from my J1 expiry plus a month of grace time.

Most advised that I sit back and wait. I know things take time and more time for some than others; but I believe do what you can in your capacity for things to happen. It helps. I am not sure whether it helped in my case.

I thank all for the info posted on this forum and elsewhere. Its invaluable.

streddy

Last edited by a moderator:
HI
I would like to know whether one has to send the original NORI letters (three) to the Indian consulate when requesting for the final NOC or just photocopies are sufficient.
Thanks a lot
Nirai

Is the same procedure applicable to European citizens on J-1 visas subject to HRR? I read somewhere (don't remember where exactly - I have read tons of documents on this issue) that people from India generally are granted a waiver, whereas Europeans do not. I come from a member of the European Union and I have been awarded a Fulbright award for an MBA in the US - I can't decide whether to accept it or not. I want the money (and the potential value of the Fulbright title) but the possibility of missing a great work opportunity in the US freaks me out. Any suggestions?

congratulations

Hi streddy
congratulations on your waiver
I'm a fulbright fellow from Iraq, do you know whether Iraqi people are easily granted waiver like the Indians?

Contact the Fulbright Commission in your home country. They will get to know about your waiver application eventually anyway, so there is no point in hiding your intentions from them. They should be able to tell you if other Iraqi Fulbright fellows have received a waiver. You will also need a No Objection letter from your country's Embassy in D.C. (if you use the No Objection alternative), so you need to contact them as well to see if they are willing to write a No Objection letter from you.

streddy,
what did you write in your 'statement of reason' for not fulfilling the 2 yr HRR ?

J1 clinical????

hi,
were u on J1 clinical or research??? is it easy to get a J1 wiaver by NORI if u were on a J1 clinical. pls let me know.

Final waiver

Hi Streddy-
Congratulations for your success in long-running trail. BTW I wonna that you are getting is DOS recommendation or final waiver from USCIS. I am now waiting for final waiver from DOS for almost 3 months. Is it possible to file H1-B petition with DOS recommendation?
Thanks.

'statement of reason'

Dear Reddy
what did you write in your 'statement of reason' for not fulfilling the 2 yr HRR ? any other thought/experience from readers?

Last edited by a moderator: