Got laid off on H1-B, I have to leave the USA immediately?

USA_Newcomer

Registered Users (C)
If you lose your job while on H1-B, there's ZERO grace day. That means, if you get laid off in the morning, you have to immediately get a plane ticket back to your home country, sell your house, get your wife and kids and leave everything behind.

Not to mention how inhumane and cruel that is (most people who are on H1-B have a family, have kids who are in school, have a house, have friends, etc.), how is that even physically possible?

I know that if I get laid off on H1-b, I'd have NO WHERE to go. I have no friends or networks in my home country, and no place to live in my home country.

I don't understand this law.

I mean there are tens of thousands of ILLEGAL immigrants in the USA with no education and no real jobs, and they get LEGAL status in a blink of an eye by some law enacted in the Congress.

While we, LEGAL immigrants, with advanced degrees, with great contributions to the American advanced industries, who obey every law of this society, who pay every dollar of our taxes, and we get deported in 0 HOURS once we lose our jobs? It's like the US wants us to work for their companies, but try so hard to frustrate us if we want to settle here permanently.

I don't know how many families I've encountered who were sullen and unhappy for years and years because they are waiting for their goddamned greencard on H1-B, and every single day worrying about losing their jobs and having to lose everything they worked for those years. I know a family who has been waiting for their green cards for 6 fucking years, enduring countless arguments between the husband and the wife because of the pressures and anxiety. Now they are filing for divorce.

Goddamn the USA. Every family here in the USA waiting for a green card is always 1 day away from getting deported. It's like we are living in a prison.

Sorry for the rant. I just need to let off some steam.

I have moments like that too!! Just sit back and relax; if the day comes you will do something. As long as you and your family are healthy there should be somewhere in the world that you can live and contribute.

As far as the illegal immigrants; well I shall say that they might be more welcome than us because of the kind of jobs that they go for.

Is it really 0 day period? I was of the view it is 60days, so once you loose your job you have 60days to look an other employer? Am I incorrect?

AFAIK, the immigration laws are vague on this point. The moment you are laid off and your employer notifies INS of the same, you become out of status (OOS) in the US. If you stay in the US for more than 180 days as OOS, then that can affect your green card possibility. I would say, you should leave the US in a reasonable time frame. What is reasonable is based on your individual circumstances.