Got EAD....Now what?

shahrooz

Registered Users (C)
My wife got her EAD today. Now the main question rises... what to do? she has never worked before and her English language skills are moderate. She can't use her university degree (agricultural engineering) since there are no jobs related to her major in our area. She won't mind working in some other field but exactly what? We've been looking through washington post jobs section, but most jobs require previous experience which she doesn't have. Other jobs that don't require previous exp. yield very low income. Considering new costs to be covered due to her employment (day care costs, new car, car insurance, gas & commute costs, clothings, lunch, etc.) it won't be worth getting a job for her with any salary lower than $2500/mo. Now we're kind of confused as to what kind of a job she can find without previous work experience which will not require high communication skills and will also pay enough to make it worthy.

I highly appreciate any information, personal experiences, comments & suggestions.

Thanks for the response. Could you be more specific as to what exactly your line of thought is for our situation?

If your spouse take 12 months training there are plenty of jobs available in the health care ( MRI/X ray, mammography technician, medical billing etc)

Without these training life is tough here for a starter.

My wife got her EAD today. Now the main question rises... what to do? she has never worked before and her English language skills are moderate. She can't use her university degree (agricultural engineering) since there are no jobs related to her major in our area. She won't mind working in some other field but exactly what? We've been looking through washington post jobs section, but most jobs require previous experience which she doesn't have. Other jobs that don't require previous exp. yield very low income. Considering new costs to be covered due to her employment (day care costs, new car, car insurance, gas & commute costs, clothings, lunch, etc.) it won't be worth getting a job for her with any salary lower than $2500/mo. Now we're kind of confused as to what kind of a job she can find without previous work experience which will not require high communication skills and will also pay enough to make it worthy.

I highly appreciate any information, personal experiences, comments & suggestions.

Another option is IT. There are a whole bunch of consulting companies that train in QA testing, BA skills (Business analyst), etc. These only take a month or two and chances are that she can find a decent paying job. Also, if she is enthusiastic, she can learn new computer skills required for admin jobs, apply widely and go from there. Good luck!

Also its good idea to start taking some courses in the community colleges. It improves the communication and social skills. It would help both of you to ease into a new arrangements if she goes to school few days week. Good luck.