Got caught walking through the exit door in NYC Subway! Will this affect my Citizenship Application?

ZeusNero

Registered Users (C)
I walked through an open door at the Herald Sq subway station and got caught by an plain clothes NYC Transit Officer. He gave me the yellow ticket for violation 4 (a) of the MTA rules (ie Entered without payment).

Stupid move!

I went to the hearing and they sent me a letter asking me to pay the $100 fine. I paid the fine.

I am going to file my N 400 soon.

My questions are:

1. Is this a civil or a criminal violation?
2. Should I mention this on my N400? Is this a "citation" that should be mentioned?
3. Will this show "lack of GMC" for naturalization purposes if I mention it? Can I be denied Citizenship on the basis of this?

(That is the only run in with the law I've ever had)

Last edited by a moderator:
You are under oath at your n-400 interview so if you hide this fact, you will definitely be denied under lack of GMC for lying under oath, on the other hand this does not sound like a CIMT that will obstruct naturalization.
If I were you I will go ahead and disclose everything truthfully, because the worse case scenario you will lose your filing fee, and if you don't disclose and lie, you will have to wait five years from the date of interview to prove GMC.
The only person that can lie under oath in this country is Bill Clinton.....lol.....

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. I will mention this on the N 400.

But, is it going to be a problem? I will take the proof of payment of the fine to the interview. (Although it's not required, since fine was < $500)

I too think that it is a civil violation (I will check with an attorney). Can a civil violation be grounds to deny Citizenship for the lack of GMC?

OK. I will mention this on the N 400.

But, is it going to be a problem? I will take the proof of payment of the fine to the interview. (Although it's not required, since fine was < $500)

I too think that it is a civil violation (I will check with an attorney). Can a civil violation be grounds to deny Citizenship for the lack of GMC?

This ticket is not going to be a problem with GMC, assuming that it was an isolated incident.
People with a few traffic tickets get routinely approved with no problems (I had a couple of those myself) and this fare evasion ticket will be treated in a similar way.