Good news for folks waiting for Cship

The part of 1161 that sucks.

(c) Notice to Foreign Embassies.--Upon the naturalization of a new citizen, the Secretary, in cooperation with the Secretary of State, shall notify the embassy of the country of which the new citizen was a citizen or subject that such citizen has--

(1) renounced allegiance to that foreign country; and

(2) sworn allegiance to the United States.

This means that now they will go over and above our heads. Is this democratic? Is it not our human right to choose how many citizenships we want to keep? Shouldn't we move to strike this part? How can one move to get this striked?

Please write your opinions.
Thanks.

This means that now they will go over and above our heads. Is this democratic? Is it not our human right to choose how many citizenships we want to keep?

What is anti-democratic about this? The United States is merely reporting a fact - that you have become a US citizen. What your home country chooses to do with that information is up to them, and if you do not like what they do, then complain to them.

How is telling the truth anti-democratic, unless you are trying to hide something?

To me it looks like it is goin overboard

In my opinion:

The second part is the problematic area :

"renounced allegiance to that foreign country"
One never explicitly renounces allegiance to his/her home country. It is that, he is now a citizen of another country also.

If either side come up with some rule sayin "You have to choose one or the other" that I can understand. But to say "renounced allegiance to that foreign country" is going above and beyond.

JMJ

One never explicitly renounces allegiance to his/her home country. It is that, he is now a citizen of another country also. If either side come up with some rule sayin "You have to choose one or the other" that I can understand. But to say "renounced allegiance to that foreign country" is going above and beyond.

Have you read the oath of citizenship??

I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God. In acknowledgement whereof I have hereunto affixed my signature.

here is my point...

TheRealCanadian,

Do you mean to say, One can't have dual citizenship when U become an US citizen. If that is true then I agree ...

I'm sure there are countries which allow dual citizenship and I bet these countries do have similar wordings in their oath to the one U quoted.

My point is one should be made known that when he/she becomes a US citizen,he/she ceases to be a citizen of his/her previous country of citizenship and that US doesn't agree with the dual citizenship. But if you do allow dual thing, then there is no real meaning to the words in the oath.

One can't have dual citizenship when U become an US citizen. If that is true then I agree

No, I never said that at all. I merely pointed out that as part of naturalization, you swear an oath renouncing allegiance and other citizenships, and the United States is entirely within its rights letting the original country know that such an affirmation has been made.

Now it is up to that country to determine how to treat this fact; many countries (including my own) do not give this affirmation any legal weight (to renounce my Canadian citizenship, I need to do so in person before a Canadian judge or consular officer, not a US official). However, there's nothing anti-democratic or wrong about doing informing the original country.

My point is one should be made known that when he/she becomes a US citizen,he/she ceases to be a citizen of his/her previous country of citizenship

That's not necessarily true. It's up to each country how to treat citizenship in the case of naturalization. The United States cannot FORCE other countries to stop recognizing me as a citizen.

this is now amendment 1921

110th Congress
S.Amdt. 1921: Amendment information not available.
An amendment to S. 1639: A bill to provide for comprehensive immigration reform and for other purposes.

Offered: Jun 26, 2007
Sponsor: Sen. Lamar Alexander [R-TN]
Actions: No action has been taken on this proposed amendment.

Text of amendment
SA 1921. Mr. ALEXANDER (for himself, Mr. Cochran, and Mr. Cornyn) submitted an amendment intended to be proposed by him to the bill S. 1639, to provide for comprehensive immigration reform and for other purposes; which was ordered to lie on the table; as follows:

On page 379, between lines 21 and 22, insert the following:

Subtitle C--Strengthening American Citizenship

SECTION 716. SHORT TITLE.

This subtitle may be cited as the ``Strengthening American Citizenship Act of 2007''.

SEC. 717. DEFINITION.

In this subtitle, the term ``Oath of Allegiance'' means the binding oath (or affirmation) of allegiance required to be naturalized as a citizen of the United States, as prescribed in subsection (e) of section 337 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1448(e)), as added by section X31(a)(2).

CHAPTER 1--LEARNING ENGLISH

SEC. 718. ENGLISH FLUENCY.

(a) Education Grants.--

(1) ESTABLISHMENT.--The Chief of the Office of Citizenship of the Department (referred to in this subsection as the ``Chief'') shall establish a grant program to provide grants in an amount not to exceed $500 to assist lawful permanent residents of the United States who declare an intent to apply for citizenship in the United States to meet the requirements under section 312 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1423).

(2) USE OF FUNDS.--Grant funds awarded under this subsection shall be paid directly to an accredited institution of higher education or other qualified educational institution (as determined by the Chief) for tuition, fees, books, and other educational resources required by a course on the English language in which the lawful permanent resident is enrolled.

(3) APPLICATION.--A lawful permanent resident desiring a grant under this subsection shall submit an application to the Chief at such time, in such manner, and accompanied by such information as the Chief may reasonably require.

(4) PRIORITY.--If insufficient funds are available to award grants to all qualified applicants, the Chief shall give priority based on the financial need of the applicants.

(5) NOTICE.--The Secretary, upon relevant registration of a lawful permanent resident with the Department of Homeland Security, shall notify such lawful permanent resident of the availability of grants under this subsection for lawful permanent residents who declare an intent to apply for United States citizenship.

(b) Faster Citizenship for English Fluency.--Section 316 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1427) is amended by adding at the end the following:

``(g) A lawful permanent resident of the United States who demonstrates English fluency, in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Homeland Security, in consultation with the Secretary of State, will satisfy the residency requirement under subsection (a) upon the completion of 4 years of continuous legal residency in the United States.''.

SEC. 719. SAVINGS PROVISION.

Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to--

(1) modify the English language requirements for naturalization under section 312(a)(1) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1423(a)(1)); or

(2) influence the naturalization test redesign process of the Office of Citizenship of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (except for the requirement under section 725(b)).

CHAPTER 2--EDUCATION ABOUT THE AMERICAN WAY OF LIFE

SEC. 721. AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP GRANT PROGRAM.

(a) In General.--The Secretary shall establish a competitive grant program to provide financial assistance for--

(1) efforts by entities (including veterans and patriotic organizations) certified by the Office of Citizenship of the Department to promote the patriotic integration of prospective citizens into the American way of life by providing civics, history, and English as a second language courses, with a specific emphasis on attachment to principles of the Constitution of the United States, the heroes of American history (including military heroes), and the meaning of the Oath of Allegiance; and

(2) other activities approved by the Secretary to promote the patriotic integration of prospective citizens and the implementation of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 et seq.), including grants--

(A) to promote an understanding of the form of government and history of the United States; and

(B) to promote an attachment to the principles of the Constitution of the United States and the well being and happiness of the people of the United States.

(b) Acceptance of Gifts.--The Secretary may accept and use gifts from the United States Citizenship Foundation, established under section 722(a), for grants under this section.

(c) Authorization of Appropriations.--There are authorized to be appropriated such sums as may be necessary to carry out this section.

SEC. 722. FUNDING FOR THE OFFICE OF CITIZENSHIP.

(a) Authorization.--The Secretary, acting through the Director of United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, is authorized to establish the United States Citizenship Foundation (referred to in this section as the ``Foundation''), an organization duly incorporated in the District of Columbia, exclusively for charitable and educational purposes to support the functions of the Office of Citizenship, which shall include the patriotic integration of prospective citizens into--

(1) American common values and traditions, including an understanding of the history of the United States and the principles of the Constitution of the United States; and

(2) civic traditions of the United States, including the Pledge of Allegiance, respect for the flag of the United States, and voting in public elections.

(b) Dedicated Funding.--

(1) IN GENERAL.--Not less than 1.5 percent of the funds made available to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (including fees and appropriated funds) shall be dedicated to the functions of the Office of Citizenship, which shall include the patriotic integration of prospective citizens into--

(A) American common values and traditions, including an understanding of American history and the principles of the Constitution of the United States; and

(B) civic traditions of the United States, including the Pledge of Allegiance, respect for the flag of the United States, and voting in public elections.

(2) SENSE OF CONGRESS.--It is the sense of Congress that dedicating increased funds to the Office of Citizenship should not result in an increase in fees charged by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

(c) Gifts.--

(1) TO FOUNDATION.--The Foundation may solicit, accept, and make gifts of money and other property in accordance with section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.

(2) FROM FOUNDATION.--The Office of Citizenship may accept gifts from the Foundation to support the functions of the Office.

(d) Authorization of Appropriations.--There are authorized to be appropriated such sums as may be necessary to carry out the mission of the Office of Citizenship, including the patriotic integration of prospective citizens into--

(1) American common values and traditions, including an understanding of American history and the principles of the Constitution of the United States; and

(2) civic traditions of the United States, including the Pledge of Allegiance, respect for the flag of the United States, and voting in public elections.

SEC. 723. RESTRICTION ON USE OF FUNDS.

Amounts appropriated to carry out a program under this chapter may not be used to organize individuals for the purpose of political activism or advocacy.

SEC. 724. REPORTING REQUIREMENT.

The Chief of the Office of Citizenship shall submit to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions of the Senate, the Committee on the Judiciary of the Senate, the Committee on Education and Labor of the House of Representatives, and the Committee on the Judiciary of the House of Representatives, an annual report that contains--

(1) a list of the entities that have received funds from the Office of Citizenship during the reporting period under this chapter and the amount of funding received by each such entity;

(2) an evaluation of the extent to which grants received under this chapter and chapter 1 successfully promoted an understanding of--

(A) the English language; and

(B) American history and government, including the heroes of American history, the meaning of the Oath of Allegiance, and an attachment to the principles of the Constitution of the United States; and

(3) information about the number of lawful permanent residents who were able to achieve the knowledge described under paragraph (2) as a result of the grants provided under this chapter and chapter 1.

CHAPTER 3--CODIFYING THE OATH OF ALLEGIANCE

SEC. 725. OATH OR AFFIRMATION OF RENUNCIATION AND ALLEGIANCE.

(a) Revision of Oath.--Section 337 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1448) is amended--

(1) in subsection (a), by striking ``under section 310(b) an oath'' and all that follows through ``personal moral code.'' and inserting ``under section 310(b), the oath (or affirmation) of allegiance prescribed in subsection (e).''; and

(2) by adding at the end the following:

``(e)(1) Subject to paragraphs (2) and (3), the oath (or affirmation) of allegiance prescribed in this subsection is as follows: `I take this oath solemnly, freely, and without any mental reservation. I absolutely and entirely renounce all allegiance to any foreign state or power of which I have been a subject or citizen. My fidelity and allegiance from this day forward are to the United States of America. I will bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution and laws of the United States,

and will support and defend them against all enemies, foreign and domestic. I will bear arms, or perform noncombatant military or civilian service, on behalf of the United States when required by law. This I do solemnly swear, so help me God.'.

``(2) If a person, by reason of religious training and belief (or individual interpretation thereof) or for other reasons of good conscience, cannot take the oath prescribed in paragraph (1)--

``(A) with the term `oath' included, the term `affirmation' shall be substituted for the term `oath'; and

``(B) with the phrase `so help me God' included, the phrase `so help me God' shall be omitted.

``(3) If a person shows by clear and convincing evidence to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that such person, by reason of religious training and belief, cannot take the oath prescribed in paragraph (1)--

``(A) because such person is opposed to the bearing of arms in the Armed Forces of the United States, the words `bear arms, or' shall be omitted; and

``(B) because such person is opposed to any type of service in the Armed Forces of the United States, the words `bear arms, or' and `noncombatant military or' shall be omitted.

``(4) As used in this subsection, the term `religious training and belief'--

``(A) means a belief of an individual in relation to a Supreme Being involving duties superior to those arising from any human relation; and

``(B) does not include essentially political, sociological, or philosophical views or a merely personal moral code.

``(5) Any reference in this title to `oath' or `oath of allegiance' under this section shall be deemed to refer to the oath (or affirmation) of allegiance prescribed under this subsection.''.

(b) History and Government Test.--The Secretary shall incorporate a knowledge and understanding of the meaning of the Oath of Allegiance into the history and government test given to applicants for citizenship.

(c) Notice to Foreign Embassies.--Upon the naturalization of a new citizen, the Secretary, in cooperation with the Secretary of State, shall notify the embassy of the country of which the new citizen was a citizen or subject that such citizen has--

(1) renounced allegiance to that foreign country; and

(2) sworn allegiance to the United States.

(d) Effective Date.--The amendments made by subsection (a) shall take effect on the date that is 6 months after the date of the enactment of this Act.

CHAPTER 4--CELEBRATING NEW CITIZENS

SEC. 726. ESTABLISHMENT OF NEW CITIZENS AWARD PROGRAM.

(a) Establishment.--There is established a new citizens award program to recognize citizens who--

(1) have made an outstanding contribution to the United States; and

(2) are naturalized during the 10-year period ending on the date of such recognition.

(b) Presentation Authorized.--

(1) IN GENERAL.--The President is authorized to present a medal, in recognition of outstanding contributions to the United States, to citizens described in subsection (a).

(2) MAXIMUM NUMBER OF AWARDS.--Not more than 10 citizens may receive a medal under this section in any calendar year.

(c) Design and Striking.--The Secretary of the Treasury shall strike a medal with suitable emblems, devices, and inscriptions, to be determined by the President.

(d) National Medals.--The medals struck pursuant to this section are national medals for purposes of chapter 51 of title 31, United States Code.

SEC. 727. NATURALIZATION CEREMONIES.

(a) In General.--The Secretary, in consultation with the Director of the National Park Service, the Archivist of the United States, and other appropriate Federal officials, shall develop and implement a strategy to enhance the public awareness of naturalization ceremonies.

(b) Venues.--In developing the strategy under this section, the Secretary shall consider the use of outstanding and historic locations as venues for select naturalization ceremonies.

(c) Reporting Requirement.--The Secretary shall annually submit a report to Congress that contains--

(1) the content of the strategy developed under this section; and

(2) the progress made towards the implementation of such strategy.

(As printed in the Congressional Record for the Senate on Jun 26, 2007.)

Guys, I appreciate your points. My motivation to strike that paragraph was that we all live in an international corporate environment, corporations running multiple governments. Conversly, we should have multiple citizenships too. There may be many unprincipled practicalities involved here, for example, you may get hindered in your (American) business, when you want to extend it to a country that you lost citizenship of.