Gone on vacation. Stuck in India.

aseem_mal

Hi,
I have been working in US for more than one year now, and went to India to get married.
I am not carrying any of my Original H1B papers. I just have the H1B stamp in my passport and a letter from my employer.
Do i need to have all the original papers with me when i come back to the USA?
Please tell me, as i do not want to go back from the airport in the US.
Thanks.

yes you should I guess

This question should have been asked before you went to India, how come none of your friends/colleagues inforemd you about this? You should have your original H-1B approval notice, letter from your employer and recent 2 paystubbs.

H1B papers

I just went to India on an H1B papers. I didn\'t carry all my papers with me. But in my passport I had the two H1B receipt cards stapled to the passport as they should be. A stamp is never enough.
They gave me no problem, but you might since you don\'t have all the h1B papers in your passport.

Was no problem for me

Just got back from Europe.
At the POE (Memphis) presented the passport with valid H-1B visa.
Passport stamped and new I-94 stapled, no questions asked.
YMMV, obviously.

No Title

99.99% they wont ask you for H1 approval notice as long you have valid visa in your passport. But try to keep a copy of employment letter. I have travelled 4 times out of US on H1. but they have never asked me for H1 papers.

You should have your original approval notice with you.

I traveled on H1B twice in the past two years. The first time the officer did not ask for my approval notice. The second time the officer asked me to show him the approval notice but he was just checking the expiration date, which is different from the exp date of the H1B visa.

It would be best to ask someone in the US to mail you your original notice. If that\'s not possible, at the very least, ask your attorney to mail you a notarized copy of the I-797 and bring it with you to POE.