Going to the Social Security office..

abouttime

Registered Users (C)
How soon do we need to do this? I would need to take yet another unpaid day to get this done, hence am trying to find out how far I could push this. Thanks!

It can be done by mail but is not recommended as you have to send originals. I just went in with a friend this week, and it took about 20 minutes. It seems that the SSA offices open at 08:30, so you could go there earlier and get in very quickly. Pick a day with bad/cold weather and you are good. :D

Yikes. I need to do mine and my wife's, does she need to come or it's something I can do for her, just show her documents and drop off her form... The SS office is 5 minutes away from where I work, and 1 1/2 hour from where she works (we live in the middle :)).

Good question. I need to get it done for my wife too. The closest one to my place is about an hour as well. Looks like there aren't too many of these offices..

RE: Social Security Office

Yes, it only takes about 20 to 30 minutes to do these changes. Of course, depending on how busy the Office is.-:)

i went yday and it took an hour. SSA gives separate waiting list numbers for people who want update their SS card but they call people based on their waiting time. that means you have to wait for all the people who are their to claim benefits. now those guys need/take a lot of time (one guy was there at the window for the whole hour).

Suggestions - go early and avoid lunch times.

they need original of your naturalization certificate to verify. so do this before you apply for passport. or you can wait till you get your passport and then use that as proof for SSA.

I had not changed my SSN after I got GC, so I did it immediately after I got naturalized.

Last edited by a moderator: