Going home

wirelesssprint

Registered Users (C)
I consulted with a lawyer from the DC area and he said that I can absolutely visit home without fear of losing my gc. He even told me that some asylees, who did not get their green cards, got "travel permits" to visit their home countries when there are an unusal circumstances such as family illness. Now I am confused like hell. Should I travel or should I stay? I have not seen my sisters for 12 years and things had got better in my country.

Originally posted by wirelesssprint
I consulted with a lawyer from the DC area and he said that I can absolutely visit home without fear of losing my gc. He even told me that some asylees, who did not get their green cards, got "travel permits" to visit their home countries when there are an unusal circumstances such as family illness. Now I am confused like hell. Should I travel or should I stay? I have not seen my sisters for 12 years and things had got better in my country.

Well, my lawyer said that YES you can go BUT BCIS can raise that question when you apply for citizenship. I know couple of cases where few of my friends that got asylum and GC went to their countries with their national passports???? and GC and they got their citizenship with no problem. However, BCIS can always question you and request more information about your travel. So, you never know how the BCIS officer wakes up in the morning and I wouldn't be 100% sure to say YES YOU ARE SAFE. I hope this helps. And always, there are other ways depending where are you from. PM me if you need more info, because I know few other cases where ... interesting stories ;)

Hi Guys:
When I applied for asylum, I was also told by my lawyer same thing. I asked him specifically "What the difference between GC through Asylum and other categories? Would I be able to visit my home country in case there is emergency?"

His reply was " Yes, you should be able to visit your home. GC through asylum is as good as any other category".

My attorney was one of the most competant one that I have come across. He was very strong Affrican Amercian attorney who always fought for human rights in South Africa. Unfortunately he is no more and I had to apply my I-485 by myself. Otherwise I would have asked the same thing again.

Also yesterday I was browing INS site and came accorss an article on permanent residents's rights and responsibilities. It clearly mentions no-where that an asylee cannot visit his/her home country.

I think it's about time we bury this issue for good. This is a grey issue where BCIS doesn't have a clearly defined policy but sometimes decides to go after certain individuals whom they suspect obtained their asylee status by fradulent methods.
My advise is if you want to play it safe then don't go, but if you must go home then go talk to a competent lawyer and keep his or her phone number handy in case you get a letter from BCIS.

Originally posted by JackIsBack
I think it's about time we bury this issue for good. This is a grey issue where BCIS doesn't have a clearly defined policy but sometimes decides to go after certain individuals whom they suspect obtained their asylee status by fradulent methods.
My advise is if you want to play it safe then don't go, but if you must go home then go talk to a competent lawyer and keep his or her phone number handy in case you get a letter from BCIS.

I would strongly agree with JackIsBack. You never know man ...

I would suggest not gong back Until you are u.s Citizen. I have few friends who have had trouble when they got back..When they give you asylum, it means you have fear or persecution..including FUTURE persecution..

Originally posted by wantmygcnow
I would suggest not gong back Until you are u.s Citizen. I have few friends who have had trouble when they got back..When they give you asylum, it means you have fear or persecution..including FUTURE persecution..

Can you say more... what did they do to your friends?

When my friend got back, he had to go to secondary inspection room. He thought no big deal since Refugee Travel Document they make you do that. Anyways the officer asks "Have you ever been to your home country since you were granted asylum." He said Yes since he didnt want to lie ofcourse..So they made him sit and confiscated his GC. He called his lawyer and the same lawyer who had told him its ok..His lawyer got him out and then they sent him a letter saying they are taking his legal status away..He filed a waiver and showed proof that by removing him it will be tough for his family etc. HE has also been in states for 6 years..After a lot of headache for him and I bet lot of money spent on his lawyers, he is ok now but He will never travel to his home country..EVEN if he becomes a citizen..

Another friend also went but they never said anything to him..so It really depends what mood the officer is in....Another friend was sitting in the secondary inspection and the officer who is just looking at travel documetns for fun..asks "So Mr Masby where have you been to." My friend goes "Australia"..The officer goes "Is that it?"..My friend goes "Yes ofcourse"..Offier goes "you didnt go to xxxx country"..Even though he had..he lied and ranthe hell from there!!..so pls be careful..

I am sorry to be rude, but my reaction to your persistence on this subject is can you please take your life savings and go to Vegas. There is always the chance that you will make it big. Then you will buy an oceanfront propery and laugh at all the timid souls to your heart's content.

What all asylees need to understand is that the USA does not owe us permanent residence. They are providing a green card to us as a favor because they feel sorry about the hellish experience we have faced (at least we say we have faced). To those who think constantly about going back, I am (with appropriate apologies) becoming suspicious of the truthfulness of your asylum cases.

Like a few members here, I too know people who have lost their status because they went back. And I frankly can muster little sympapthy for them.

Re: Re: Going home

Originally posted by usa2002
I am sorry to be rude, but my reaction to your persistence on this subject is can you please take your life savings and go to Vegas. There is always the chance that you will make it big. Then you will buy an oceanfront propery and laugh at all the timid souls to your heart's content.

What all asylees need to understand is that the USA does not owe us permanent residence. They are providing a green card to us as a favor because they feel sorry about the hellish experience we have faced (at least we say we have faced). To those who think constantly about going back, I am (with appropriate apologies) becoming suspicious of the truthfulness of your asylum cases.

Like a few members here, I too know people who have lost their status because they went back. And I frankly can muster little sympapthy for them.

It is so easy for people like you to sit on their fat asses and pass judgment on others. You do not know me ok. I am a Croatian from Serbia. The Serbs massacred 40% of my family and i was so close to get killed but i miraculously received a visa to the USA and this saved my life. I have been living in America since 1991 and never had a chance to see my sisters for 12 years. Things have gotten better since they removed Milosovic and put him in trial. Who the hell are you to tell me that you suspect the truthfulness of my case? How dare you trivialize my agony and suffering? Shame on you and on heartless arrogant folks like you.
P.S. You are not funny so do not quit your day job ( if you have any.. i am sure your lack of compassion makes you perfect for a jail-related job)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wirelessprint,

I feel for you my brother but dont take things granted. I didnt see my mother for 10 years and finally i was able to visit a SAFE third country to see her..Now she is here with me legally..! Maybe your sister can travel to a safe third country such as turkey? Or good country like that..You will easily be able to travel to turkey..

Best of luck and dont feel angry at pppl's comments. Asylum in very honest opinion has 50% fake cases...Lots of ppl like you and me have suffered but many do take advantage of this system.

Re: Re: Re: Going home

It is so easy for people like you to sit on their fat asses and pass judgment on others. You do not know me ok. I am a Croatian from Serbia. The Serbs massacred 40% of my family and i was so close to get killed but i miraculously received a visa to the USA and this saved my life. I have been living in America since 1991 and never had a chance to see my sisters for 12 years. Things have gotten better since they removed Milosovic and put him in trial. Who the hell are you to tell me that you suspect the truthfulness of my case? How dare you trivialize my agony and suffering? Shame on you and on heartless arrogant folks like you.
P.S. You are not funny so do not quit your day job ( if you have any.. i am sure your lack of compassion makes you perfect for a jail-related job)

Wow wireless, chill out my brother. He did not mean to hurt you I think. However, noone should say to anyone else that his or her case is not credible. It totally invalidates the person... Be careful people; we all want to help each other here.

Yes you can go in your country now,In Croatia situation is great.
You ar lucky you got asylum in time.
There is no problem going there,I know many workers who go there every summer.you will not have problem at all.
Go and have fun ,and see your sisters.
Enjoy good time.Absolutly no problem.

Originally posted by Care2much
Yes you can go in your country now,In Croatia situation is great.
You ar lucky you got asylum in time.
There is no problem going there,I know many workers who go there every summer.you will not have problem at all.
Go and have fun ,and see your sisters.
Enjoy good time.Absolutly no problem.

Care2much, The workers that you know who go there are asylees? Do they have a GC?

Usa2002, 40% of the family massacred is enough for you? Or you still think is a suspicious case.

I know that there is a high percentage of fraudulent cases in asylum, but come on, you're not the one in charge of judging that. Cases and situations vary within different countries and cases. So let's focus on our personal cases without judging the others.

Yes, they are Politiacal asylum waiting for GC.
And very scary things in >Land of Justice<there are real kilers that are enjoying protection (Political asylum ) and there
are some that had to run just so can stay a life.

Everybody miss his family, left in home country. So I do not see why it can be hard to anybody in this forum to understand it. If asylee has situation serious enough to risk his life (as some serious family sickness, funural, e.t.c), it his chois to go, as I see it. He has to have that document to show INS if they ask.