Getting H1 VISA stamping in Canada

Hawk74

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
Need help !!!
If anybody has gone to Canada for H1b stamping, Could you please tell me your experience? details like which US consulate is better, where to stay and etc.
Which is better Mexico or Canda for H1 stamping?

thanks in advance
Hawk

Read the archives. Also indicate whether you are doing a F1 to h1 or H1 to h1 or other visa to h1...
Generally mexico is lenient. Toronto is notorious.

H1b to H1b
I can not send my passport to DOS because my VISA expired more than a year ago.

Toronto Notorious??

Can u pls share your experiences jaxen about Toronto being difficult for H1B multiple Entry Visa stamp. I am going there next week for H1 stamp .....( my case F1- OPT - H1). i always thought Toronto was the best for Canada and mexico even worse??..:confused:

danmagaji, can you post your experience after visiting Toronto for stamping. I am not able to make up my mind either to visit toronto or india for stamping.
Any info regarding stamping is appreciated.

For a F1-OPT-H visa stamping all consulates are a breeze... Toronto is notorious for H4 to H1 transfers (on account of non US degree).. Read up the archives.

How about Vancouver?

Originally posted by jaxen
For a F1-OPT-H visa stamping all consulates are a breeze... Toronto is notorious for H4 to H1 transfers (on account of non US degree).. Read up the archives.
Hi jaxen

I am planning to go to Vancouver in march? I am going to get the multiple entry stamp on my new passport. My old passport and I797 was stolen last year. I obtained new Passport and another duplicate I797. The old passport had H1B stamp from US Consulate Mumbai. I have done my graduation out here.
So do you forsee any issue in getting the Multiple entry stamp at Vancouver?
Also is there any specific time to book the appointment at nvars.com, because I am trying from last several days (@10.30am PST)and I am not able to book the appointment.

No risk in vancouver. Keep trying, I think it is updated at the start of the week or end of the week.

Originally posted by jaxen
No risk in vancouver. Keep trying, I think it is updated at the start of the week or end of the week.

Hi Jaxen
I have very imp. question for you. My current H! expires in May2003, my company has also filed for the extension since December, I am planning to go to canada to get the H1B multiple entry stamp on my passport on March2003.

The question I have, can I leave the conutry and come back while my H1 extesion application is still pending? This is because when I come back i will be issued a new I94 card at POE which will be different from what I have send to INS with H1 extension application.
Also If I go and come back to US and after 2 months my extension will get approved, will the new I797 have I94 in it?

H1B Stamping @ Toronto

Just back from Toronto and i got my H1B stamp. It was really very smooth (Thank God) and my case was F1-OPT-H1. The lady that interviewed me was very polite but asked questions: when i finished studying and what i was doing. She reviewed my docs and in two mins told me that i had my visa.
Docs Looked at:
1. I-129 and the complete package sent to INS
2. Original Diploma
3. Passport and 156 and 157 forms.
Nothing else was asked for, whereas i had everything - old I-20, EAD, Pay Stubs, Employment Letter etc, SSN Card.
Overall it was a good experience. I did hear them give a lady with H4 converting to H1 a hard time, but issued her the visa in the end.
good luck

Hi Mr. danmagaji,

Thank you very much for you detailed description of your exp. I would like to know where you got your Canadian VISA.

Could you please also write about where to stay and what's the best means of reaching the consulate i mean flying to canada or driving to canada which is better?

I am sorry to bother you
Thanks in advance...
Hawk74

Not a Bother Hawk......i was also pretty paranoid! I drove down actually.....i live in NJ. Trust me it was very smooth crossing the border - my canadian visa was not even looked at or stamped!! You need one anyway and i got mine from Canadian Consulate in New York. That too was a breeze, just mailed in my docs and i got the whole package back in 3 days.
I stayed in a town called Mississauga - lots of cheap hotels/motels ( check hotwire.com) and since i drove down, my transportation was easy. Toronto has an excellent subway too.
good luck
i hear flight tickets r pretty cheap too.

Doctor w/ B1/B2: H1B stamp in Canada advisable?

Hello! I am a physician from the Philippines who has been accepted for a residency position in the US. I will not be able to file H1B application right away because I still have to clear another medical exam (USMLE Step 3) required for the visa, although my residency program has promised to sponsor me. My problem is, even if I will get an H1B status approved while I am in the US, I might not be able to go home to the Philippines to get a stamp because (1) stamping there takes a month and I might not make it to the start of residency in July, in which case the program might drop me and (2) I am afraid it will even take longer or I'll get rejected because of the impending US-Iraq war.

I am considering going to the US consulate in Toronto, Canada and getting a stamp there (convert my tourist B1/B2 visa to H1B). Do you think it is advisable?

I actually have a sister in Canada and I am booking a flight as follows: Philippines-Michigan-Toronto-Michigan-Philippines. If ever my visa application gets rejected in Toronto, will they let me fly back through the Michigan route or will they force me to take a flight straight out of the continent from Canada (not passing through the US)? The latter is because of the new rule I read that says if you get rejected, you cannot re-enter the US. I am not sure if this applies to me since my B1/B2 is valid till 2007 and I don't plan to overstay my I-94.

Hope anyone can help me. I am so worried. I would like to get a stamp so I can be free to visit my sister in Toronto if I ever have free time. I will consider the Toronto option if I have little time left and if I can still re-enter the US despite being rejected and not get a stamp anymore. Thanks!

Need Help, Jim/Jaxen

Hi,
I am currently working as a Software professional in California.
I came to the US on a F1 visa. I completed my OPT and got H1 approval on Oct 2002. I am going to Canada to get a
multiple entry stamp on my passport however I have a very serious concern.

I have completed all requirements for my Ms but I have not yet graduated (still need to defend thesis). I just want
to know whether it is appropriate to go to Canada to get a multiple entry stamp (since I do not have my diploma, but I do have my transcript)

What are the chances of encountering a problem on account of my not having completed graduation even though I have the H1 approved from INS.

Another question is what supporting documents from the University will help me get the multiple entry stamp in Canada?

Please help me as this matter is quite urgent!

Dear All,
I drove to Ottawa from Detroit for H1B visa stamp (3 year extention) on Wednesday. At the Port Huron Border the Canadian immigration only asked me for drivers licence and asked what I wanted to do in Canada. I told him I want to revalidate working visa. I was the one who handed him my passport and info. I have a feeling he would have let me in without caring much for visa if I had kept quiet. He stamped my passport in less than 1 minute, very polite and courteous. At the embassy, there was a list of what to produce namely I-797, I-94, Passport, Employer Letter, Recent Paystub, copy of LCA, copy of I-129. The lady at the booth was very friendly. She asked me how much I make and where my company headquarters are and looked at my documents. In all it took 3 minutes and I was told to come back by 3pm for my visa which I did.

On my way back thru Windsor, I met only the customs for 1 minute and I had nothing. It was a pleasant experince. FYI, I elected Canada over DOS because I needed to travel urgently. Good luck!

IBK

Dear All,
I drove to Ottawa from Detroit for H1B visa stamp (3 year extention) on Wednesday. At the Port Huron Border the Canadian immigration only asked me for drivers licence and asked what I wanted to do in Canada. I told him I want to revalidate working visa. I was the one who handed him my passport and info. I have a feeling he would have let me in without caring much for visa if I had kept quiet. He stamped my passport in less than 1 minute, very polite and courteous. At the embassy, there was a list of what to produce namely I-797, I-94, Passport, Employer Letter, Recent Paystub, copy of LCA, copy of I-129. The lady at the booth was very friendly. She asked me how much I make and where my company headquarters are and looked at my documents. In all it took 3 minutes and I was told to come back by 3pm for my visa which I did.

On my way back thru Windsor, I met only the customs for 1 minute and I had nothing. It was a pleasant experince. FYI, I elected Canada over DOS because I needed to travel urgently. Good luck!

IBK

Hi IBK, Damanji, Jaxen

To apply for Canadian visa to travel to Canada for getting H1 visa stamping - what is this visa called?. I browsed the candian embassay site, but was not able to find out the right visa

Originally posted by kcs503b
Hi IBK, Damanji, Jaxen

To apply for Canadian visa to travel to Canada for getting H1 visa stamping - what is this visa called?. I browsed the candian embassay site, but was not able to find out the right visa

VISITOR VISA

its actually called a Temporary Resident Visa but is basically the equivalent of a Visitor's Visa