Getting E-2

Moriton

Greetings!
What would be the approximate minimum amount of investment for E-2?
Does the business have to necessarily be connected to my home country?

Thank you

E2 Investment Visa

It really depends on the type of company and the consulate where filed. I've obtained approvals for clients anywhere from $20,000 - $100,000 +. For example, a service-oriented company would not have as much start-up expenses as let's say a restaurant. There is no requirement that the company relate to your home country. However, the application should be filed in your home country.

Also, some countries are more strict when it comes to E2 standards than others. I would say a safe number would be $80,000 though for any type of company. Remember, you need to show expenses. You can't just have $80,000 in the bank. Hope that helps!

(info@thevisaexpert.com)

thevisaexpert

When you state:

Remember, you need to show expenses. You can't just have $80,000 in the bank.

You mean showing some sort of business plan whereby $80,000 is expended, correct? Just want to make sure...

Not exactly. You will need a business plan that has financial projections for the next 3-5 years. However you will also need to show that you have already expended money on your new business. Immigration wants to see that this is a real investment and the money is "at risk." The money cannot simply sit in a bank account or else too many fraudulent applications would be filed. Some examples of expenditures include lease payments, equipment, inventory, payroll expenses, etc.

This is somewhat of a Catch 22 because you are expending this money on the risk that your visa gets approves. Unfortunately there is no real way around this. As long as you submit a strong application that properly traces your source of funds you should be fine.

Hope that helps! You can e-mail me if you have any more questions. (info@thevisaexpert.com)

Thank you, Thevisaexpert

Dear Thevisaexpert,
Thank you very much for your replies. I truly appreciate your time and the info. It's very helpful. We are currently in the States on F-1 visa and looking for any legal ways to stay in the US. Our visa will expire in August, 2006.
We will definitely keep your email address.

Thanks,
Moriton

You're welcome. Keep in mind that the E-2 process can often take a couple of months to prepare then 4-6 for processing. Make sure to give yourself plenty of time so you can put together a strong application without rushing. Best of luck! E-mail if you need anything else. (info@thevisaexpert.com)

Hi

I am not sure which country your are from but the American consulate in London is being very picky at the moment, going through paperwork with a fine tooth comb

Ther is no set amount for investment, but the min reasonable amount would be $120,000

Please get a cash flow forecast and business written up by a CPA accountant

I would recommend you do your home work on immigration attornies and make sure they are a member of www.aila.org (American Immigration Lawyers Assn)

Cheapest is not always best, so pick a good attorney. The lawyer of this site is a member or search

www.whoswholegal.com
www.superlawyer.com

Regards Sue

www.expatsvoice.org

Hi

You can apply for E visa whilst in the USA and may well get approval but will have to return to home country for interview and passport stamping

The final approval rests with the American consulate in your home country so just because the service centre approves does not really mean much.

Regards Sue

www.expatsvoice.org

Last edited by a moderator:
Obtaining an E visa is not easy (anymore?). Depending on the embassy/consulate you deal with it can take up to a year. As far as investment goes, it depends on the nature of the business and where. I would call a $300K investment a safer number, but then again it really depends on what.

E2

Does anyone know if you can remain in states after getting E2 or must you go back to your country to get a final approval. I thought you need to go to your home country if you want the visa stamped in your pasport otherwise you can get E and run your business in states for unlimited time.

This is regarding my friend's VISA situation, her H1 visa is getting expired in November(completing 6 years(we have added all the vacations she was out of USA).

She changed the job in last march for new H1 and have not applied for Green card, her husband is also on h1, and they are applying for Green card in few months.(h4 and h1-extention are out of question).

so my question is, what could be possible legal ways for her to stay here with her husband.

1. can she move to Student visa if some university accept her for full time student positions.
2. Is there any other kind of VISA she can try to obtain.
3. What if she move back to india and Here her husband gets to I485 stage and apply for EAD, can she come back here on that EAD.

thanks in advance,
your reply will surely be apreciated.

surf_smarter said:
Does anyone know if you can remain in states after getting E2 or must you go back to your country to get a final approval. I thought you need to go to your home country if you want the visa stamped in your pasport otherwise you can get E and run your business in states for unlimited time.
You can apply for the E-2 visa while in the U.S. but only if you plan on remaining in the U.S. (i.e. not travelling). If you ever decide to travel out of the U.S. you would need to send a new application to the U.S. Consulate in your home country. An approval in the U.S. is not a basis for an approval in your home country. Either way, you will need to reapply when your visa runs out. There is not an "unlimited" period on the E-2 visa.