Getting an E2 Visa, and ultimately a green card ...?

DesiKermit

I am an Indian born Canadian citizen currently in the US on a F1 visa. I am currently looking into starting a business over here. What kinds of business are favorable in order to getting an E2 visa? Is it possible to apply for and get a Greencard from an E2 Visa and what types of enterprises are the most favorable in getting the greencard?

Thanks.

Your investment must be in a real operating commercial enterprise Speculative or passive investment does not qualify. Uncommitted funds in a bank account or similar security are not considered an investment. Visas are issued for all types of business ventures, e.g. convenience stores, motels, property management companies, shooting ranges, gift shops, building contractors, food franchises, and pool cleaning companies. All kinds of businesses can qualify. What is critical is that the business generates more than enough income to support you and your family and creates employment. This is called a "test of marginality" Do franchises qualify for E-2 visas? Answer: Yes they can. The same requirements apply for a franchised business as any other, whether it is a new franchise or a franchised business already in operation.

Good Luck!

I am an Indian born Canadian citizen currently in the US on a F1 visa. I am currently looking into starting a business over here. What kinds of business are favorable in order to getting an E2 visa? Is it possible to apply for and get a Greencard from an E2 Visa and what types of enterprises are the most favorable in getting the greencard?

Thanks.

Hi

A requirement of E visa is you have to invest a substanital sum of funds, create employment for LPR/USC

The embassy dod not state what the substantial sum is but you are looking in the region of $150,000.00 if you purchase a biz or a bit less on a start up biz

It is possible to build up your biz and once employing quite a few and you have good profits, then your US company would submit I 140 for you (owner of biz) and if approved then this is go ahead for you to apply for green card

If you have $500,000.00 to invest then this can get a green card but the biz must be in an area of high unemployment

If you have $1,00,000.00 then you can get green card and not so many restrictions

Susan,

You seem to be quite in tune with the E stuff. I am a Cdn. citizen on a TN who has been living in the U.S. for quite some time. We have missed the H1 program the last three years for untimely filings due to various paperworks reasons. As you can see this year is a mess (all were gone the first day and yes my stuff made it in on time). In any event, my question was that If I get an E, and then a separate company sponsors me for a GC, are there any issue when renewing the E? ie: the question on the I-129 about "Has a petition ever been filled for you in the past?"

Second, what in your opinion (and I know it's only an opinion) would constitute enough business on an E in terms of employees and profit to justify getting a green card?

Kermit,

Depending on your education and work experience, you could possibly get a TN visa if you want. This would give you some time to figure out what you want to do.

If I get an E, and then a separate company sponsors me for a GC, are there any issue when renewing the E? ie: the question on the I-129 about "Has a petition ever been filled for you in the past?"

The E is not a dual-intent visa. This means that you are supposed to have the intention of returning to your home country when your business operations cease, not apply for a green card. I would highly recommend ensuring your E-status is good for at least two years after you start your GC process with the other company. This will avoid intent issues and should give you plenty of time to obtain a Labor Cert approval and then file concurrently (I-140 & I-485).

Susan,

You seem to be quite in tune with the E stuff. I am a Cdn. citizen on a TN who has been living in the U.S. for quite some time. We have missed the H1 program the last three years for untimely filings due to various paperworks reasons. As you can see this year is a mess (all were gone the first day and yes my stuff made it in on time). In any event, my question was that If I get an E, and then a separate company sponsors me for a GC, are there any issue when renewing the E? ie: the question on the I-129 about "Has a petition ever been filled for you in the past?"

Second, what in your opinion (and I know it's only an opinion) would constitute enough business on an E in terms of employees and profit to justify getting a green card?

Hi

Sorry for the delay, my first granchild was born on 19th April 07 and has been in ICU since then, thankfully is now stable and slowly on the mend

I can give you an example

My friend purchased a nail and tanning salon and got E visa. He expanded the biz and had three shops.

He advertised for a manager to oversee the three shops. The adverts were placed in newspapers and shop window.

No one suitable applied so his company, submitted I 140 for the owner (and E visa holder) and was approved.

Once the I 140 was approved applied for green card and now has it in his hands

The time scale was three years

my case is easy. I was hired at parent cpmpany and send here holding E2. my company submit I 140 for me. I got PR almost in seven months.

E visa

Hi

My sister and her husband live aboard. They can invest about $200K to start their own business. While they are out of the country can I start the business for them here then they get their E visa?
Please advise

Hi

My sister and her husband live aboard. They can invest about $200K to start their own business. While they are out of the country can I start the business for them here then they get their E visa?
Please advise

Providing you are legal to work then yes you can work for the company

I have owned the company in Thailand at this moment , I am going to establish the US Corporation, What do you think that E-2 or L1 would be the suitable most?

Hi

Sorry for the delay, my first granchild was born on 19th April 07 and has been in ICU since then, thankfully is now stable and slowly on the mend

I can give you an example

My friend purchased a nail and tanning salon and got E visa. He expanded the biz and had three shops.

He advertised for a manager to oversee the three shops. The adverts were placed in newspapers and shop window.

No one suitable applied so his company, submitted I 140 for the owner (and E visa holder) and was approved.

Once the I 140 was approved applied for green card and now has it in his hands

The time scale was three years

Hello Susan,

Thanks for your reply about E2 to green card.

Can you please shed some more light on exactly what kind of visa your friend qualified for GC ?? Which green card category and how ? :confused:

I am sure this information will immensly benefit others in the similar situation.

God bless you !!
curious_soul
:)