GC through Armed forces

drhnp

Registered Users (C)
I am sick of waiting for LC to be cleared to the extent that I am looking for alternate ways. The armed forces, Air Force, Army and the Navy do take people who are not citizens. I think I can get the job. Does anyone know if the processing for immigration is any different if you go through Armed forces? Do they still have to file for LC etc?

Sincerely

only with GC

They will only take you with GC, and then only in enlisted ranks.

The only benefit the military has immigration wise, is the 'instant citizenship' once you are on active duty during wartime. (if getting shot at is your thing, it might be a worthwhile step to speed up citizenship. The shortest time they enlist is I believe 4 years).

(In the past, meaning WW2, people have presented falsified documents to get enlisted in the military. Once in, the military rather naturalized them than admitting that they had made a mistake)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not mean to enlist as a combatant but only in technical core. Are you sure they don't take people on visas? They are short of people in medical core etc which is a non combatant rank. Do you know of anyone who was accepted or rejected due to visa status. Years ago one of my uncle got citizenship in Army medical core while on J1 visa. He is not sure about the rules now. Does anyone have more details on the subject?

Sincerely

Maybe worth looking into

> do not mean to enlist as a combatant

Well, in the most recent war, a good number of people got shot at who never expected to.

> Are you sure they don't take people on visas?

I am in a profession they are bleeding for people right now. I talked to some higher brass in the Air-Force two years ago and they looked into it. After a couple of months they got back to me and told me that they can only take citizens, no exceptions (officers ranks). I didn't go through the recruitment command though, maybe they can bend things.

> Years ago one of my uncle got citizenship in
> Army medical core while on J1 visa.

How long is that ago. I know that during the vietnam war, they offered citizenship to my dads brother (a sea captain) if he signed up as a naval officer for duty on the Mekong. He politely declined.

If you find something, keep us posted.