GC process after marriage

bkms

Registered Users (C)
Hi am planning to get married to my american sweetie very soon.iam currently on OPTand it expiress 2008 jan.my F1 visa thru which i came here,already expired.I was never out of status.

My question is if i apply for GC may be oct.iam planning to to do my phd after my OPT expires in jan 2008.do i have to enroll in F1 staus....?

or may be cos of financial reasons(hopefully not) if am not able to do phd can i work,after my OPT expires.

Replies Please...

Once you get married, you will file both I-130 and I-485 (Adjustment of Status). This will make you stay in the US until a decision is made on your case.

At that time you can also file for I-765 which should take no longer than 90 days to process and you will be able to work anywhere.

Once you receive your green card, you will be able to study, live, work in the US.

need help,am new to this forum,conditional gc to h1

i am a doctor from india,doing my residency here in us, am currently on my conditional permanent resident status based on marriage to a us citizen but now i am in a bitter situation that my spouse who is a us citizen is now threatening me that she wont help at the time of removing the conditions on my green card and even threatening me that she would give me divorce,i am not able to tolerate the mental torture .i am not even interested in the green card,but i wish to stay here and complete my residency since i have put 3 years of hard work and spent a huge amount of money to get in to residency.if i get a divorce what will be my future,should i go back to my home country without any degree,if so all my hard work and struggle will go waste.my question to you is can i change my status from conditional green card to h1 if my hospital is willing to sponsor me so that i can complete my residency.i need your advice and reply,please help me in this regard.thank you.

need help,am new to this forum

please help me in this regard ,if you have any information about such a case.