GC holders what kind of security clearance are elgible

canus_immi

Volunteer Moderator
For GC holder what kind clearance are eligible??

Could you please suggest me . My company had several internal positions
but they cannot publish tehm outside .

Please help me

thanks

canus_immi said:
For GC holder what kind clearance are eligible?? Could you please suggest me. My company had several internal positions but they cannot publish tehm outside.

My understanding is that it's pretty well impossible to get a useful security clearance unless you are a citizen.

I have a friend of mine who used to work for a company in Virginia on H1 and they have sponsored his GC. And later on his company was bought over by a Defence company and they did his security clearence as his project was very sensitive to the government. So since you are already working in the company, you can always request your manager to start the security clearance.

canus_immi

I am not sure what r u looking for?

Anyway, here is the details regarding "Security Clearance"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
What's a Job Security Clearance?
In the U.S., when a job description states that a security clearance is required, it typically means that you must submit to and "pass" a personnel security investigation (PSI). A PSI is essentially a background check, but it's likely to probe deeper than a typical, employment-related check. It consists of one or more of the following, depending on the type of security clearance.

a) Verification of U.S. citizenship
b) Search for investigative files and other records at Federal agencies, such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
c) Search for criminal records at local law enforcement agencies
d) Fingerprinting
e) Polygraph exam (lie detector test)
f) Credit and other financial checks
g) Check of records at courts, rental agencies and your employers
h) Interviewing your references
i) Interviewing you

You might need a security clearance for a government, military or civilian-military job, or to work at a private-sector company that contracts with the government or military.

How Do I Get a Job Security Clearance?
You can't apply for a security clearance on your own. A security officer or other authorized employer representative must request it on your behalf.

The Defense Security Service (DSS) conducts PSIs, as does the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and other Federal agencies. On or about October 1, 2003, DSS personnel who conduct PSIs will transfer to the OPM. The OPM will then conduct PSIs for a wider range of Federal agencies, as well as private-sector companies working under government contracts.

Which Job Security Clearance Will I Get?
Which security clearance you'll be granted depends on the sensitivity of the information to which you'll be privy. The three most common are listed below.

a) Top secret - Access to sensitive information that has a high degree of secrecy, the unauthorized disclosure of which could place the nation in exceptionally grave danger
b) Secret - Access to sensitive information for which unauthorized disclosure could endanger national security
c) Confidential - Access to sensitive information for which unauthorized disclosure could impair or injure the national interest

How Do I Keep My Job Security Clearance?
To keep your security clearance active, you must submit to and pass reinvestigation as follows.

a) Top secret - Every five years
b) Secret - Every ten years
c) Confidential - Every fifteen years
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a desi guy working here on some aircraft related work. He told me that they have to have security clearance for that job and he did that. He is on L1 visa. Some job may require US citizenship but security clearance can be obtained irrespective of your visa type.