GC holder marrying L1 (visa expiring)

kaashi

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I have a GC, applied for citizenship two weeks ago, fingerprints in two weeks time.

Recently, I met someone who is here on an L1 visa, expiring in mid-Feb 2010, and things are looking hopeful from the marriage angle. She's still employed at a major firm but her job seems uncertain at the moment. If she finds a new job within her company in the next 1-2 months, all is well legally, she goes home to India and gets her passport stamped, and comes back here.

1) If she loses her current job, if she can't find a new job within the company, and is forced to go back when the visa expires in Feb, could she get married to me and stay here? What does one have to file? Adjustment of status? To what visa? On what basis? I only have a GC as of now.

2) Could she extend her L1 visa somehow?

3) I guess it'd be hard to find a new job at some other company and apply for an H-1 and that whole process in these times.

4) Trying to think out loud here. I'd appreciate it if you could help me think clearly:

Suppose we get married. She loses her job, and can't find a new one. L1 expires. She goes back to India in Feb. I become a citizen in April/May. I file for a spousal visa right away after my citizenship. She comes back here in however long that process takes (8-9 months)? Does that sequence seem right?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
akash

I assume you mean that if she finds another job within the company, she will renew her L-1, is that correct?

1. If she loses her job, she is forced to go back right then, not when her visa expires. Marrying you without you having citizenship will not entitle her to file I-485 (AOS).

2/3. Only with job at current company will keep L1 alive. She could try to get H1

Other than your incorrect thought that she can stay here until feb even if not working, your other thoughts seem correct.

Hi,
I have a GC, applied for citizenship two weeks ago, fingerprints in two weeks time.

Recently, I met someone who is here on an L1 visa, expiring in mid-Feb 2010, and things are looking hopeful from the marriage angle. She's still employed at a major firm but her job seems uncertain at the moment. If she finds a new job within her company in the next 1-2 months, all is well legally, she goes home to India and gets her passport stamped, and comes back here.

1) If she loses her current job, if she can't find a new job within the company, and is forced to go back when the visa expires in Feb, could she get married to me and stay here? What does one have to file? Adjustment of status? To what visa? On what basis? I only have a GC as of now.

2) Could she extend her L1 visa somehow?

3) I guess it'd be hard to find a new job at some other company and apply for an H-1 and that whole process in these times.

4) Trying to think out loud here. I'd appreciate it if you could help me think clearly:

Suppose we get married. She loses her job, and can't find a new one. L1 expires. She goes back to India in Feb. I become a citizen in April/May. I file for a spousal visa right away after my citizenship. She comes back here in however long that process takes (8-9 months)? Does that sequence seem right?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
akash

How many girls are you marrying? You posted on USC thread that you have someone with B1 you want to marry..now L1?????

It's ok guys. Just trying to figure out how the laws work, doesn't hurt to be prepared. You have been great so far for the last few years with replies. If you could help out in some way, that'd be appreciated. Thank you for your time and input.
akash