GC holder marrying a h1b holder - notify INS?

TheEnquirer

Registered Users (C)
Hello All

I am GC holder and i married a H1B holder( canadian citizen)!
do i have to notify INS? i dont have any immediate plans to include her in any of immigration processing - only after i become a US citizen!

pls advise

You don't need to notify any Immigration authorities about the marriage. But when you apply for an immigration benefit of which there are forms that ask for spousal or marriage information, you would provide the requested information on the forms.

i meant the new group -USCIS

so i dont have to notify immigration!

how about IRS - just when u file taxes?

any other govt body - that i should?
For Ex: since im still a citizen of my parent country (india) do i need to do anything there...

im just looking for experiences of people here....

Marriage is not a federal issue, it is not even a state one most of the time. Marriage is usually a city/county issue, and that too when they are issuing you a licence/certificate. You are not required to notify any federal agency/department.

since im still a citizen of my parent country (india) do i need to do anything there

You don't need to notify any Federal agency about the marriage except within the context of a legal process that requires marriage information. So yes, that would include filing taxes ... but you only tell IRS that you are married on the tax return itself, you don't notify them separately about it.

The citizenship paperwork asks for marriage information, so you'd provide that information when you fill out the form. If you get married after filing the application and before the interview, you'd let the interviewer know about it so they can update the form.

Last edited by a moderator:
... and her H1 process is not impacted by her marrige to you either. if she was in some other mon-immig status (like TN for instance) which prevented dual intent there might be small risk (note: might be) of being suspected of immig intent and possible denial of entry or renewal of status.

But there is absolutely no risk of this with H1.

Do be wary that her H1 clock will run out at some point .. or that she could lose her job. She could not stay in US without another status.

Last edited by a moderator: