GC holder away for a year. Need help!!

Sindhur

Hi,

I am a GC holder and I left the US on Jun 12th 2006 with my 5 month old baby. I had plans to travel back on Oct 12 2006 but due to certain medical reasons I was unable to travel.
Since my 1 year duration will be up in a couple of weeks I am in a fix. I have two options-
1. Travel to the US before Jun 12th for a few days and then travel back to India. - In this situation is there a time frame that I need to be in the US in order to keep my GC alive?
2. Obtain a returning resident visa. - How hard is it to get this? I can provide medical records to prove my situation that compelled me to stay back in India.
Could someone please answer my questions? I can then plan accordingly.
Appreciate your help!!!

Option 1 is probably preferable. Get in before 1 year is up and apply for reentry permit while there, one each for you and your baby.

You need to enter the US and then apply for the re-entry permit. Obtaining the reentry permit is very easy.

Also note that you only need to be physically in the US when you APPLY for the re-entry permit. After applying you can go outside the US and have the approval (they give you a bright green passport like thing) mailed to you outside the US.

You use the re-entry permit along with your GC when you clear immigration.

I speak from experience.

My wife is planning to go back to home country due to personal reasons (medical) and I am planning to file a 131 myself. Do we have to state the details in purpose of travel section? Any help is appreciated....